Random stuff you have repaired.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here you go Russ

1. 992 Hamilton with a Montgomery porcelain dial, this is a latter model they started making it at the turn of the century.
2. A latter version of your dads. Hamilton 992B unlike yours has the newer cheaper plastic dial with baton hands. A nice bar over crown model 17 case.
3. A 992E in a rare cross bar case. The 992E was introduced in the 30s when electric trains were introduced as it has a white metal mainspring as the older watches could be magnetized and slow the watch down.
4. Latter 950B the 23 jewel big brother in a model 16 case, plastic dial.
5. 950E (see 992E) the holy grail of Hamiltons with a Canadian dial and original bullseye crystal.View attachment 251662

As noted you have the plastic ivory cigarette box it’s at least $200 by itself. You have all the boxes and/or paper and receipt the price doubles. The prices are what I paid at least 25 years ago so don’t use those.

View attachment 251664
Thank you again ttown for taking your time to provide some information on my grandfather's watch.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on what your doing a restaff or hairspring takes tools and knowledge.

a clean, oil, adjust (COA) with a mainspring isn’t bad. Parts can be hard if you you don’t have parts cabinets or plates from junkers. Most American watches after 1857 are parts swapable but many early watches you need a machine shop to fit or fabricate a part. Crystals are gold.

The 16s 3/4 plates are easier than the 18 size full plates. I use dental tools to jockey the pinion gears into the top plate after putting all the gears in the hole jewels on the lower plate.

Really it’s mechanical so it’s just time consuming until your doing 10 or 15 a week. Get a cheap 12 size 7 jewel to play with. I started to teach my kids since technology was taking over cars more and more in the 90s.

Clocks are a lot easier with big parts and being able to use common tools but the same concept.

View attachment 251712View attachment 251713
That is kind of what I was thinking and the parts being as small as they are kinda makes my carpal tunnel cringe LOL. Left hand gives me fits and the smaller the items the worse it gets!! Think I will admire the pocket watches from afar and stick with the mantle size. :cool:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My son in law brought this Sunday. Have been thinking about getting a 12g loader but just never would do it, always something more pressing!

20220214_195731.jpg

Powder/shot chamber, bottles and primer spring and die all on the way for less than $50.......
Need to get the little plastic brush thing on the front piece there. Have already found the chamber for loading steel shot
Pre85 MEC 600 jr. as near as I can tell looking at pics and reading.
Once I get it all put together I guess it is time to start looking for primers!! Wads and shot I can find just running a quick . Glad I have enough stuff on hand I will have a year to gather things LOl.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mec jr are a workhorse. I was going to say they ran about $100 until I looked at the over $300 dollar price tag now😯

I have a 12 ga I purchased in the early 80s for $79.95 and work gave me the 20 ga in the late 80s as a reward for something I did.

I have a 3 x3 foot piece of plywood I mounted mine on, I sit in fount of the TV and reload. I used to shoot around 300 rounds a week and never thought I needed a progressive.

Its nice to be able to load rock salt in shells for special purposes like critters.

I have some great target and hunting loads using IMR 700x and 800x.

Last edited:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 15-20 weed eaters laying in my garage right now that need a little tinkering, enjoy getting those things running. Nothing better than paying a fella $5 for one that "just wont stay running" and giving it a good cleanup to make it run like new. Have yet to resale one so the wife isn't too fond of my pile of tinkering items.

My dad would periodically rescue an old piece of lawn equipment that was out on the curb for trash day. Then we would fix them together and that’s how I learned to work on small engines. I had a fleet of push mowers as a teenager. He would also “sell” one really cheap to the neighbor who was on a small fixed income because that’s the only way she would accept his offer to give her one. He’d periodically give he an upgrade when he found a nicer one for her to use.

Latest posts

Top Bottom