Random stuff you have repaired.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the weather being what it is today, I'm staying indoors. My recently acquired vintage watch cleaning machine kept blowing rheostats. The guy I bought it from had rewired everything underneath, and after checking everything it all appeared good. I ended up finding an issue with one of the wiring connections inside the motor, which was holding on for dear life. I did a little bit of maintenance work to the motor, and then rewired it. It's running beautifully now.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rebuilding a little wooden chair we think is very old based on the horse hair filler in the seat and the square upholstery tacks used to hold the seat fabric in place. Nothing fancy just an old old chair. 97C4D59C-4D05-43A5-8384-DA9BF283BF42.jpeg

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve ever really built anything but I got this going. I should be done building in his weekend, prolly start finishing next week. I built this from a 5 dollar plan I bought off Etsy.

Attachments

• IMG_0462.jpeg
    IMG_0462.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man...sometimes I really wish *I* was smart and talented....
I am neither smart nor talented. However, I am persistent. And I am also trainable. Barely. I have destroyed some stuff. Important and expensive stuff. But I've also managed to get and keeps some other stuff going. Learned out of book and practice for several decades. Learned more from YouTube videos. This is sort of like planting a tree. The best time to do it was 20 years ago. The next best time is today. Here are a few things I've done, or am in the process of doing.

First photo is a plaque I got for my GF about 42 or 43 years ago.

2nd is the bed and cross-slide of a Unimat SL-1000 lathe I'm still in the middle of overhauling. Bed rails were rather rusty, likewise the rails in the slide. I replaced them with hard-chromed linear rail. 3rd Photo is the pair of milling beds I made for the Unimats. I've got two now, after at least 50 years of wanting one.

4th & 5th photos are of a Lewis Shaper that a friend of mine made me a deal I couldn't refuse on. However much I could pay, whenever I could pay it. 4th is as received, after sitting out in the rain for months after our mutual friend who previously owned it passed away unexpectedly. 5th is what I looked like after the restoration process was mostly done. It's been sitting in my shop long enough that it will need a bit more restoration before I can mount the VFD and 3phase gearmotor on it so I can finally power it up. The way oil (bar and chain lube) has gummed up rather badly.

6th is my Atlas TH42 lathe, before I rewired it. That took about 2 years. ;) Last time I had it plugged in, it worked fine. I'm hoping that will be true next time I plug it in. Didn't take the time to do extensive cleaning and painting on it since I need at least one good lathe to work on all the other tools around here.

7th is one of the jets I worked on for Uncle Sam when I was a young pup. :) That photo was taken about a decade after I last worked on it, and a few years after the last time I took photographs of it, and by someone else. I didn't get to keep my photos, as they were USAF property.

I have only been about half-way around the world, but was in three different career fields in the USAF, and been playing with stuff I couldn't afford to buy new and in good condition for the vast majority of my life. ;)

Attachments

• Press On Plaque.jpg
    Press On Plaque.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • F-111D-68-101.jpg
    F-111D-68-101.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20151114_074055.jpg
    20151114_074055.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • STP64948.JPG
    STP64948.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Right view.jpg
    Right view.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220511_133829629.jpg
    IMG_20220511_133829629.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Bill in OKC's Unimat SL-1000 new way bars.jpg
    Bill in OKC's Unimat SL-1000 new way bars.jpg
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 0

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
might be a Targa don't know my porsche very well.. my good friend in highschool had a 911T and his dad had 2 930 Turbo Most fun thing i ever drove.

Last edited:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s easy and not too pricey to buy replacement parts these days. I almost bought a replacement fork off eBay for $80 but thought I could put the new to me lathe to work. I happened to have some 1.5” round bar but needed 1.25” to fit.

We’ll see if this one can hold up to me backing into trees.

IMG_7309.jpeg
IMG_7310.jpeg
IMG_7311.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom