Range / acreages

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How far do you think you want to shoot? 300 yards takes about 20 acres a little longer than wide.

Edit to clarify: it isn't just any 20 acre parcel either. Layout needs to be safely suited.

Last edited:

Okielqnder

Marksman
Reaction score
five to ten acres is not much land for shooting. It takes just one person moving in next to you to bring up worries of projectiles and noise. Have a flier and you have real problems. look to see if insurance will cover your land. also look for a large umbrella policy to cover guests and trespassers. know what is approx. A mile downrange in case one goes over the berm. Several years ago, two rounds went over a 40foot berm at a local club. One went through a TV and the other into the siding. The trailer was one mile away. we built the range on our land so we were higher than impact areas. We shot into creek banks with dirt piled up behind. a must is no rocks in the berms.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fliers are major... we did some shooting once and a round apparently bounced off a rock in our berm (which was probably 30 feet high) and ended up in someone's dining room about a mile and a half away. I know it was more than a mile. 5.56 FMJ ammo.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No kidding.
Elreno / Yukon area would be nice also if such land existed I would scoop it up.
A friend has 14 acres for sale just a few miles north or Cherokee truck stop (exit 108 on I 40) on 281 perfect place to build a house or just a smaller hunting property. Price reduced to 55k feel free to PM me with any questions.

Legend

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
One of the members here had a public range down in the Pink area a couple years ago. I think he went broke on it. Anyway it sold and someone got their own private gun range.

SnakeCreekSS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If opportunity presents itself in East OK area, I'm considering purchasing some land to build a private shooting range. Looking for suggestions for acreages - how deep should the range to shoot safely? I mostly shoot AR-15 55 grains and 9mm from various glocks. Occassionally .22LR from a handgun.
What's the safe height and width for a backstop? Dirt? Sand? Which material is better for a backstop?
Thank you for any suggestions / ideas / recommendations.
The other thing you need to worry about is your safety zones beyond your berms. Our rifle area may only be 200 yards but we have 3 miles of nothing but trees behind our 30' berm. This safety area is there for misfires and also for customers that truly shouldn't being shooting at that range and miss the berm (it happens at every range).

Latest posts

Top Bottom