Range Finders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK all you experts out there, I found myself needing to get a new range finder, so looking for some input so i can make a decision.
I mainly use it to measure distance to target when im out in the open field at my range to sight in a rifle when i add a new scope or working up a new load. I have to use a portable bench since they dont want anything left in the field so i have to measure the distance everytime i go out and set up. But i do use it from time to time to measure certain points around the area to get a good idea what my range is from a certain point just for that just in case the brown stuff hits the fan and i need to make some long shots.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought the Sig Kilo 2000 last year and love it. For the price and functions it has, it is great. I have ranged deer at 1000 yards and large objects like buildings far beyond that. The scan function is an added plus.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple versions of the Leica rangefinders. They are great. The Sig Kilo 2000 I have is better. I will be buying a SIG 2400 soon.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Sig K2000 is a great little range finder. I've ranged antelope over 1,200 yards and oil tank batteries at 1,576 yards.

The two things I didn't like about it are the aiming circle is too big and it doesn't have a tripod mount. The scan mode corrects for the large aiming circle and makes ranging at distant objects easier. I think in scan mode it ranges 4 times a second. I bought a tripod mount for it from LongRifles Inc for about $75.

If you plan to hunt a lot with it and shoot longer ranges while hunting go with the Sig K2400 with its Applied Balistics software.

Case in point, I'm ranging an antelope at 870 yards while resting the Sig on my elevation turret. I check my Shooter App on my cell phone for drop and wind. The antelope begins to walk again and stops at roughly 790 yards. I have to check my phone app again. I get back on the scope and it takes me a while to find the antelope, he's on the move again. He finally stops at 712 yards. I have to get off the scope, range him, check my phone app, dial for drop and wind, get back on the scope, find the antelope, and then make the shot. You don't have to do this with the K2400. You read your dope within the range finder.

Personally, I would rather have a hunting partner on a spotting scope with the range finder feeding me range, drop, and wind. This way I can concentrate on my target and shooting.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
image.png

If your LE or prior service you could join Experticity and get this for $581 plus shipping. I bought a Bushnell scope from them and everything went fine.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought the Sig Kilo 2000 last year and love it. For the price and functions it has, it is great. I have ranged deer at 1000 yards and large objects like buildings far beyond that. The scan function is an added plus.

I bought one last year as well. Same model.
Great unit. I've ranged a reflective target (metal barn ) at 2000 yds just like they advertize.
My previous unit was a bushnell from 15 years ago that was an 800 yard model. I could barely get 400 yards out of it.
Worked great within that range though. I've compared the two against each other, and they are within a yard +/-.
View attachment 107905
If your LE or prior service you could join Experticity and get this for $581 plus shipping. I bought a Bushnell scope from them and everything went fine.
That's a heck of a buy with the kestral.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK all you experts out there, I found myself needing to get a new range finder, so looking for some input so i can make a decision.
I mainly use it to measure distance to target when im out in the open field at my range to sight in a rifle when i add a new scope or working up a new load. I have to use a portable bench since they dont want anything left in the field so i have to measure the distance everytime i go out and set up. But i do use it from time to time to measure certain points around the area to get a good idea what my range is from a certain point just for that just in case the brown stuff hits the fan and i need to make some long shots.
I have a Leupold 1200 and for around 300 bucks its been great and for the practical ranges I am capable of shooting while hunting.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Bushnell 6x21 G Force DX 1300, do not buy it. the reticle color on the brightest setting is difficult to see on a bright summer day.
It does everything it is suppose to do, with nice glass. However, something has made a smear on the glass inside the unit., just to the right of the circle. making it hard to read the range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom