Range memberships - US Shooting Academy and Fouled Bore

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was stationed in Mobile I was part of the Pascagoula shooting club. I paid $100 a year and had to take a class but had a key to the gate. I could come and go as I please most dates. It was very well organized And very structured. General shooting was up to 200 on paper and then out to 550 on steel. We had 600 yard butts and 1000 yard but you had to qualify to shoot at those. It was a great club, and I wish we had some thing like that around here

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fouled Bore has gongs in 100 yard increments out to 1350.

No private bays.
No going down range.

There is a seperate sight in range, 50 and 100 yard target stands.

Seperate pistol range.

Rustytweezers

Wall building Ammunition hoarding Gun packing Okie
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never heard of this you can't pick up your brass or steel, it's mostly in the grass and dirt but and who really cares, where did you hear your cant't pick up own brass a USSA?
The owner bans people from shooting there if you’re seen doing it. I think they have signs saying it but I may be mistaken.

Rustytweezers

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Folks something to consider when complaining about "crazy range people" or "safety nazi's" is that it works both ways. Ranges see a LOT of people that "THINK" they know what they are doing and are unsafe as hell and a danger to others. SO yeah....most of the time range rules are there because of Those People and stupid insurance companies. The insurance company doesn't want to pay out and the range doesn't want to get sued because you are stupid/unsafe and don't know it. :)
As to the brass I can only speak to how I handle it here. If you are putting it on the ground you need to be an adult and pick it up so it is clean for the next person. If you want to take your brass home with you, cool. I am not going to count how many rounds you shot vs how many you are taking, but you don't get to take all of it. :) Every range is different, a public range the brass might be a significant factor in revenue for scrap. Here the brass is a very, very small bit because we are not open to the public but over time it can add up to at least something.
Another factor I see a lot is people that think ranges should be free or next to free while they carry in their 7 pistols, 4 high end rifles, and 5 grand in gear and then treat the range like their job is to destroy it. Always two sides to everything folks :)
There’s holes in the ceiling at the police training range too.

Rustytweezers

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want better ranges, be better stewards of the range, have some actual training from reputable sources, and be willing to pay for better. Consumables, repairs, maint, and a ton of other things are NOT cheap and that isn't even counting labor if you can afford that.
Are you saying that all range owners are golden? And we the public are all slobs who are just there trying to take a **** on your range? It’s sure coming out loud and clear to me.

Almost Jack Burton

Not the real Jack Burton but close.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's also Camo Corner in Stillwater, only goes out to 100 yds for the long rifle range. Has covered pistol bays and another 50 yd area iirc(don't ever use that one). It's usually pretty pleasant there. You can pull your vehicle pretty much up to the shooting bays aswell which is nice of you have a lot to tote.

Meadhall Range

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you saying that all range owners are golden? And we the public are all slobs who are just there trying to take a **** on your range? It’s sure coming out loud and clear to me.
Not at all. Quite the opposite actually. People go to ranges available to them and they choose what is acceptable, however there ARE a lot of folks that want nice ranges but you aren't always going to get better ranges if you aren't willing to pay for them. There is a lot of expense in creating a nice range, or even any range. Building nice/better ranges costs a LOT more than just putting up a dirt berm. If there is not enough ROI on building a better range then they won't get built. Look at what a lot of indoor ranges do where they are charging for A lane by the hour instead of some type of per day rate. Classicly outdoor ranges tend the other way where you are doing a per day fee. The more you want to be able to do on a range like working from a holster etc the more costs go up for a range in insurance etc...often exponentially. Expect better, require better, but be willing to pay for it just like anywhere else.
When you go for food for example. The cheapest is going to usually NOT be the best. It likely isn't going to have fresh ingredients or a chef making it right? The facility usually isn't going to be what one calls "fine dining". When you go to a high end restaurant or one that uses better recipes and better ingredients you are going to pay more than fast food. Fast food you get one genre of food because that is how they can make a profit.

Basically what I am saying is this. No one is going to stand up a really nice range, spend a metric ton of money making it that way and not expect to make a profit. Just like you expect to be well compensated for what you do at your job :)

N5JBD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like Snake Creek well enough I just wish they had a longer range than 200 yards , the upside is the location though and they don't seem to have crazy people employed there.
I joined Snake Creek and shoot there as well as USAA. Good benches, the people who run it are nice but I just hate having to interrupt my shooting so someone else can walk to the 200 yd target and check their target. I'd much rather have a private bay and shoot on my terms. Nothing wrong with Snake Creek, just my personal taste.

Latest posts

Top Bottom