Range Permit???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a license or permit required to start and run an indoor range? I'm toying with the idea of getting something going in Enid.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kicked this idea around several years ago while I still lived in Colorado. First thing we learned, it's VERY expensive. My business partner went to an NRA range seminar in Chicago(?) and learned a LOT. I can't recommend that highly enough. You'll come away with everything you need to know about starting a range with the exception of what you local jurisdiction requires. The seminar covered pretty much every detail and was very, very helpful for us. We ultimately decided to scrap the idea due to the cost of starting up. In our case it was a minimum of $1.5M....but we would've started from scratch.

https://onlinetraining.nra.org/online-courses/nra-range-development-and-operations-course/

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still kick myself for not buying the Caldwell indoor range that was taken out of the Stillwater votech years ago. $25,000 for all the 10 station range except for the air filtration system. I had a group of investors ready to chip in and buy it but, when we didn't have anywhere to store it until we found a building, everyone lost interest. I should have just got a small business loan and bought it myself.

N5JBD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a license or permit required to start and run an indoor range? I'm toying with the idea of getting something going in Enid.
Most cities will work with you if you are looking at putting it in an industrial type area. The BIG cost is going to be air filtration, there was a small range near my place in Texas for sale and I considered buying it and expanding it from 25yd to 50yd. The cost of upgrading the air system was around $400,000. They were selling the whole range for less than that. There are many different kinds of indoor range traps available ranging from steel drums to rubber material, the cost is in capturing the lead and being able to remove it on a regular basis. This is such an important part of owning an indoor range that there are companies who do nothing else but go around and clean the ranges to meet federal health guidelines.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wasn't there a ready built range for sale in Enid not to long ago?
I thought it had indoor and outdoor ranges, and was a gun store.
It was not very far outside of town
I never went there, just remember it up for sale on craigslist, and another real estate
listing site. I think it had a double wide trailer also. I know a lot of guys were complaining
about it closing. I do not know much more about it. I bet an indoor range/gun store would
do good in enid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom