Range rep Boyd stock Ada

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Windy as heck but wanted to test out the trigger (set now at 2.62 lbs) and boyd stock at 100 yards using the last few rounds I had of the Hornady 140 grain black box.
Pic one and two, are looks at the gun. Darn it looks good and feels very solid unlike the flimsy factory ruger stock.
Pic three are the first 3 rounds using bags (not a fan) and last pic is 4 rds putting on a cheap bi-pod (fan of bi-pods).
I think when I get the fore end, from boyds, that's made for a bi-pod, I'll just shoot off of it. Will put some cash out for a quality pod and maybe a mono pod for the back. Will also be free floating the barrel.
Overall, very happy. Looking forward to testing other ammo.
Boyd 2 rap.JPG
Boyd 5 another view stock.JPG
Boyd 3 rap 1st.JPG
Boyd 4 last group.JPG

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rifle looks great! The potential is there, but hard to tell much about it if the wind is as bad there as it is today in SW Ok. I've heard good things about the Atlas bipods. Keep up the good work!

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I really dig the lightened trigger. Very crisp and smooth. Goes bang when I expect it. The stock looks cool and feels much better. I had forget how good a wood or laminate stock felt.
Only issue I have is if I seat the mag firmly with my palm it can travel too far an impinge on the bolt going forward.
Any suggestions would be great, otherwise, I'll figure out a fix event though this is no big deal.
Wind was a problem but I see trigger time as helping, as will floating the barrel and finding the correct grain of bullets.
I will be getting with a buddy of mine, when I get back, and do some hand loads to test. I have 100 rounds of spent Hornady cartridges that I will be testing. Want to get the floating done first so no excuses.
Never floated a barrel before. Watched a few vids on it but would really like some suggestions.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Floating barrel-- find out where it has contact when assembled. Remove stock and sand down the high spots, some people wrap the sandpaper around a piece of dowel rod. Assemble, check for clearance, if good you are done, if not repeat steps.

When clearance is good, you can finish the wood.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rifle looks great! The potential is there, but hard to tell much about it if the wind is as bad there as it is today in SW Ok. I've heard good things about the Atlas bipods. Keep up the good work!

Can't do any better than an Atlas, really fine bipod, have one on my AR-10.

Rifle looks awesome, will be better when you get thru with everything and are on here bragging about your 1 hole groups!

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't do any better than an Atlas, really fine bipod, have one on my AR-10.

Rifle looks awesome, will be better when you get thru with everything and are on here bragging about your 1 hole groups!
Ha. Thanks, but if I ever post "one hole range reports", look for powder burns on the target.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have some varied sized dowels and I think I have 1/2 inch.
Also working on another Red Neck DYI I hope to get on when I get back. I think it will be really cool.
I forgot to mention that the barrel seemed to cool faster with the new stock. I found that odd. Any science behind this or am I just more nuts than my wife thinks? (and my wife is rarely wrong)....(just ask her)

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Received notification from UPS that my Boyd grip and fore end is soon on it way. I think I'm really going to like it.
The current grip and fore end are more made for hunting. The larger fore end will fit perfectly with bi pod.

Latest posts

Top Bottom