1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Range Safety

Discussion in 'Self Defense and Handgun Carry' started by gerhard1, Dec 1, 2018.

1. gerhard1

gerhard1 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Do range 'safety rules' hamper defensive shooter training? For example, no more than one shot every five seconds, targets no closer than fifteen yards, no drawing from the holster, no moving while shooting, etc. I think these rules which hamper effective defensive shooting, are more for PR than than they are for safety, (don't make the soccer moms mad) but if you violate them, they can throw you out.

The image of the shooting sports is what they sell to the public, in large part, to placate the previously-mentioned soccer moms, but sport has little to do with shooting for survival. That's a very major advantage to owning your own range. I can shoot as rapidly as I please, targets are as close as I care to have them, I draw from the holster, and I can move about to my heart's content while shooting. None of these are possible at many ranges.

What say the learned folks at OSA?

2. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Most of those rules are to rein in the dumba$$es from hurting themselves or others in crowded gun ranges.

okierider, druryj, Slim Deal and 4 others like this.
  3. steelfingers

steelfingers Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Unless it's a defensive shooting class, I don't want to be at a range with some mall ninja's rolling in the dirt (in full battle gear) shooting the place up.
    I've left more than one place, with stupid people doing stupid things. If you want to do that, find a place for it. IMO

druryj, Slim Deal and bigred1 like this.
  4. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

I'd say sport has a good bit to do with survival, the more one spends with a tool / equipment the more proficient their likely to become.. Plus sport doesn't have all the mentioned rules.. Public ranges, yes one maybe hampered by rules BUT rules are in place for a reason.. I do things in the shop which others can't do as well and it's not that I'm "better" but it's due to the hours and familiarization I have with the equipment that makes me more proficient.. I too have a range, 5 berms and of course I make the rules.. So like yourself I am a lucky son of a gun..

Stupidity is and has been on the rise since the invention of the cell phone..

5. Dave70968

Dave70968 Sharpshooter

Is it really on the rise, or is it just getting more visibility?

6. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    The rules you described may be a requirement for the range insurance company.

You mentioned drawing from a holster.......

gerhard1 likes this.
  7. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

NO idea but 3 gun,run & gun and skeet should make a more proficient shooter..

D. Hargrove and dennishoddy like this.
  8. bigred1

bigred1 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Just goes to show you that wearing a cowboy hat don't make you a gunslinger.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    D. Hargrove likes this.
  9. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    It certainly does. in competitive shooting, you learn thinking on the run, how to clear failures in the weapon and most importantly shooting safely at speed.

10. xseler

xseler Sharpshooter

I think the 'internet' is the root cause for the stupidity --- it seems to make everyone an 'expert'

Slim Deal, chuter and D. Hargrove like this.