Ranges and Self-Defense Skills

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting stats on the full size vs subcompact. I would have thought more on the subcompact.
On that one he combined all of the Compacts , G19s and M&PCs in with fulls size guns. It is possible some might carry a smaller at some times and brought the Full Size because of all the shooting involved at the event. The later survey question he sent out to instructors which likely included some that attended the event had a 100 Responses. It had similar numbers when you combined the big guns.

What size of firearm do you normally carry
44% FullSize 4-5"
43% Compact 3.5-4"
7% Subcompact 3-3.5"
5% LongSlide 5"+
1% pocket

Until recently, I almost always carried a 4.25" or 5" Full size M&P. The last couple of months I have been going back and forth between a G17 and a G48. It is weird carrying the G48 as I sometimes feel I'm inadequately armed. The 1/8" less in width is quite a bit easier to conceal with a normal t-shirt or polo for me though. I ran the G48 in class this weekend and I'm pretty happy with the results.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On that one he combined all of the Compacts , G19s and M&PCs in with fulls size guns. It is possible some might carry a smaller at some times and brought the Full Size because of all the shooting involved at the event. The later survey question he sent out to instructors which likely included some that attended the event had a 100 Responses. It had similar numbers when you combined the big guns.

What size of firearm do you normally carry
44% FullSize 4-5"
43% Compact 3.5-4"
7% Subcompact 3-3.5"
5% LongSlide 5"+
1% pocket

Until recently, I almost always carried a 4.25" or 5" Full size M&P. The last couple of months I have been going back and forth between a G17 and a G48. It is weird carrying the G48 as I sometimes feel I'm inadequately armed. The 1/8" less in width is quite a bit easier to conceal with a normal t-shirt or polo for me though. I ran the G48 in class this weekend and I'm pretty happy with the results.

I don't feel fully armed with my pocket pistol. That's a last chance backup when bubba is thrashing you around on the ground. Nothing I'd even think of using in a mall scenario where some idiot is in process of a mass shooting unless they were really close.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a scenario from a poster on the Kansas forum:

You are putting gas in your car, your child is in a car seat, a person walks up to you and stops just beyond 2 arms length, points a gun at you and demands your keys (and NO! the BG will not let you take the child out of the car)
What do you do?

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remind him that kidnapping is a much more serious offense than carjacking, and tell him he can have the car if I can have the child. If he still refuses, I get in the car, he is not leaving with the kid and without me.

I think that's a VERY unlikely scenario, carjackers who take a kid usually don't know he/she is in the car. And they are not likely to shoot you at a public place like a gas station. Another option is toss they keys away and run, while it would be hard to leave the kid there the mostly likely reaction by the perp is to run. If they do go to retrieve the keys, maybe you have time to get the kid out of the car.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was pointed out in the forum that the scenario was not likely and the poster said he got it from some training course or something.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there any Skilled members here ? Yes, that would be willing to share those skills with others ?? If so maybe there's a chance we could pull something off.. ??

Latest posts

Top Bottom