1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ranges and Self-Defense Skills

Discussion in 'Self Defense and Handgun Carry' started by gerhard1, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    On that one he combined all of the Compacts , G19s and M&PCs in with fulls size guns. It is possible some might carry a smaller at some times and brought the Full Size because of all the shooting involved at the event. The later survey question he sent out to instructors which likely included some that attended the event had a 100 Responses. It had similar numbers when you combined the big guns.

What size of firearm do you normally carry
    44% FullSize 4-5"
    43% Compact 3.5-4"
    7% Subcompact 3-3.5"
    5% LongSlide 5"+
    1% pocket

Until recently, I almost always carried a 4.25" or 5" Full size M&P. The last couple of months I have been going back and forth between a G17 and a G48. It is weird carrying the G48 as I sometimes feel I'm inadequately armed. The 1/8" less in width is quite a bit easier to conceal with a normal t-shirt or polo for me though. I ran the G48 in class this weekend and I'm pretty happy with the results.

dennishoddy likes this.
  2. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I don't feel fully armed with my pocket pistol. That's a last chance backup when bubba is thrashing you around on the ground. Nothing I'd even think of using in a mall scenario where some idiot is in process of a mass shooting unless they were really close.

3. gerhard1

gerhard1 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Here's a scenario from a poster on the Kansas forum:

What do you do?

4. Aries

Aries Sharpshooter

Remind him that kidnapping is a much more serious offense than carjacking, and tell him he can have the car if I can have the child. If he still refuses, I get in the car, he is not leaving with the kid and without me.

I think that's a VERY unlikely scenario, carjackers who take a kid usually don't know he/she is in the car. And they are not likely to shoot you at a public place like a gas station. Another option is toss they keys away and run, while it would be hard to leave the kid there the mostly likely reaction by the perp is to run. If they do go to retrieve the keys, maybe you have time to get the kid out of the car.

5. gerhard1

gerhard1 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    It was pointed out in the forum that the scenario was not likely and the poster said he got it from some training course or something.