Re-bluing a barrel scuff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many of you may remember, I bought a ‘clamp-on’ brake? Anyway, I installed it, am wishy-washy about the look of it, just not sure I like it. So I took it off, when I did, I found that it left a scuff/scratch where the clamp is tightened and squeezed together. I have some Perma Blue, so I thought I could touch it up. I’ve watched a few YouTubes on it, but haven’t found one on repairing just one scuff. They mostly go over bluing the whole barrel, or something entirely different that I don’t need.
Can anyone tell me the steps of this, do I just need steel wool and alcohol for cleaner? Do I need to mask it off, and only get it on the scratched area? One more thing, my Perma-Blue is about 2 years old, although it’s unopened, is it still good?
Here’s a picture of the damage, not a great picture, but maybe it’ll help...

Attachments

• 84C63643-105A-46CB-AB4A-5C941281181F.jpeg
    84C63643-105A-46CB-AB4A-5C941281181F.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 153

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First, take some 4-"0" (0000) steel wool wet with Hoppe's or some other solventish fluid. Give it a good scrubbing. See how it turns out.
Lemme know how it turns out.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I moved ahead and tried the Perma Blue, since I had it on hand. It definitely darkened it noticeably, but after 8 coats, it’s still not to my standards. I may need to try Super Blue to get it where I want to. Is the Super Blue noticeably better than Perma Blue, worth my time/money? Or would I just be wasting my time?

At first I tried heating the area with my heat gun (was still cool enough to touch). I saw the heating method on a couple other forums/videos, although the bottle directions said nothing about heat, others said this is “the only way to go”. It almost looked as though it was baking it off, so I let it cool to room temperature and tried again. With no heat applied, it seemed to work much better.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Concerns?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The BEST cold blue I've used and seen is Brownells Oxpho-Blue, the liquid. They also have a cream version but I cant vouch for that as I have never used it. If you were closer, I'd say bring it on over and we could touch it up easily. (I live in Yukon). Amazon has it as well as direct from Brownells and I've seen it at Cabela's too.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=oxpho+bl...prefix=oxpho+blue,aps,269&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_10

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Get the super blue and some perma blue paste from birchwood.
alternate coats for about 4 of each then just the paste until you get the desired results . Don't sweat removing the oils, just clean it and heat the part to around 150 between each coat. Apply by hand and rub the paste in thoroughly. Super apply with cotton balls and rub it in thoroughly as well, I used gloves with the super but not the paste. ( only developed a slight twitch LOL) Let each coat sit for 5 minutes then rinse in warm water dry and repeat.
20200911_194044.jpg
dents.jpg

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get the super blue and some perma blue paste from birchwood.
alternate coats for about 4 of each then just the paste until you get the desired results . Don't sweat removing the oils, just clean it and heat the part to around 150 between each coat. Apply by hand and rub the paste in thoroughly. Super apply with cotton balls and rub it in thoroughly as well, I used gloves with the super but not the paste. ( only developed a slight twitch LOL) Let each coat sit for 5 minutes then rinse in warm water dry and repeat. View attachment 177515 View attachment 177516

Oh wow, looks like it ate the finish right off of that pistol, melted the grips, and ever' thing!

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The BEST cold blue I've used and seen is Brownells Oxpho-Blue, the liquid. They also have a cream version but I cant vouch for that as I have never used it. If you were closer, I'd say bring it on over and we could touch it up easily. (I live in Yukon). Amazon has it as well as direct from Brownells and I've seen it at Cabela's too.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=oxpho+blue+liquid&crid=H64KM9U9LVW2&sprefix=oxpho+blue,aps,269&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_10
Be careful, I may just take you up on that offer, I’m only 30 minutes from you anyway...haha

Latest posts

Top Bottom