Re: dedicated rimfire range, question for you guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When should suppressors be required?

• Suppressors should be required at all times

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Suppressors should NOT be required 9-5, M-F

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So for those who didn't see my previous posts, I'm currently in the process of opening a dedicated rimfire range a few miles north of OKC, just south of Cashion. It would be membership only, on a yearly basis. It will be approximately 100 yards (might be able to stretch it a bit further), and it will have approximately 20 lanes. Probably about half will be shooting benches and half will be pistol, and there will be a variety of interactive steel targets.

Okay, now for the survey...

How would you personally feel about a suppressor requirement? We will definitely have to require suppressors between certain hours, that's a given (early in the morning and in the evening). We would also have to require them at all times for rapid fire, and especially for machineguns. But would you rather have a strict all suppressed all the time rule, or would that be a deal killer for you?

Some things to consider...

If everyone uses suppressors, we can go sans hearing protection. I think that's a very attractive feature that would be unique to this range. If you've not experienced a day of shooting sans hearing pro, it's a huge game changer in terms of relaxation and enjoyment. It's really just something you have to experience for yourself. And if you've not experienced a suppressed 22, it's really something to behold. It makes such a huge difference when shooting with others, especially if you're trying to instruct someone.

Another thing to consider is that suppressors are very easy and inexpensive to obtain nowadays. If you efile a form 1, average approval times are three weeks now, and you no longer have to go to the sheriff to get printed or get passport photos. You can now take your own prints and photos at home. There are also lots of extremely good suppressor kits out there for a few hundred dollars or less, and I personally know a local machinist who does outstanding work for very low prices. I know the form 1 thing sounds kind of overwhelming at first, but it's really very easy and affordable now. As the range owner, that's a service I can provide is helping you navigate that process. I can take your fingerprints, for example, and help you fill out the forms online. But long story short, you wouldn't have to wait months or years to get it. You could have it in your hands within a month.

And depending on how this thing in Texas goes, there's also a chance that suppressors could be unregulated in this state pretty soon, too. So that's something to think about going into the future.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The downside would be folks having to modify their guns for suppressors or have the money to get them. Neither of my .22s have a threaded barrel so I would need to modify one I just purchased or pick up a new one and then buy the suppressor. My $.02

mavs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Pretty much no interest to me. I don't have suppressors, not interested in paying for them and not interested in buying what is necessary to change my 22's where they will accept a suppressor. Noise is just not a big issue for 22's and I usually wear rubber ear plugs to shoot them.

Last edited:

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think they should be required.
I have a suppressor that fits some of my .22's but not all; I don't see how they're cheap and easy to get. I haven't looked into the form 1 thing, but it took about 10 months for me to get mine approved a couple of years ago. The cost of the stamp and can was about $600.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe do a "suppressor only" day or evening or timeframe...but otherwise open to all rimfire.
There are neighbors, so anything outside of banking hours will have to be suppressed. I was advised by the authorities that staying in their good graces is critical to staying in business. So just as a matter of necessity, there will be plenty of time for those with suppressors to get some quiet time on the range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom