Re-loaded ammo in carry pistol ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was shooting at a range today & a guy i know was there. Somehow the topic of choice of ammo in your CC pistol came up. I showed him what i use in my carry pistol. I have 124 grn hp with nickel plated cases that I've loaded myself for best accuracy.

He advised against using reloaded ammo in your carry gun for liability insurance purposes, saying that if ever the issue came up if you had to go to court, they can't try to charge you with [reloading (making) your own ammo for the sole purpose of killing someone], & that this issue wouldn't come up with factory loaded ammo.

I've never heard of this before even with all the matches & fellowship with other shooters.
Is there any merit to this?
Does he have a point?
What do you guys do?

Last edited:

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. Not so much because of the "he loaded it to be extra-deadly--he's a killer!" angle, but because factory loads have known ballistics. Yours don't. When your story is investigated, if the ballistics don't match what you say, you're going to have an extra hurdle to overcome. Sure, you could load a couple of extra boxes so you can provide specimens, but you'll have to do that for every load session, and keep track of which specimens go with what's in the gun now, and...well, it can just make a questionable shoot too questionable for my taste.

Note: I wrote this before reading Mac's link above. So there's that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, here's an article about it on TTAG: :drunk2:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...f-defense-tip-for-hand-loaders-write-it-down/

I recommend reading it.
I just did, and what the Fawk does a reloaded round have to do in your self defense? As stated in the article, nobody has ever been prosecuted for using reloads, so why does this hoax exist?
Prosecutor to jury: This person had 1/10 grain more powder in his reload than a factory load of the same bullet weight and that makes that person a trained killer. (How would they know the powder charge used in any load after firing?)
Defense attorney: Well, MR/Ms prosecutor, my client has never fired a factory round in 30+ years of reloading for competition and hunting rounds. At the time of the shooting, he was using his normal hunting rounds that are legal in the state of Oklahoma for taking game legally.
The State of Oklahoma has no law on the books that specify the velocity or types of powder/primer combo's to take game legally so in that case your Honor, I submit that this entire Prosecution is bogus and you must dismiss the case.
End of story, see ya later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom