Re-loaded ammo in carry pistol ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just did, and what the Fawk does a reloaded round have to do in your self defense? As stated in the article, nobody has ever been prosecuted for using reloads, so why does this hoax exist?
Prosecutor to jury: This person had 1/10 grain more powder in his reload than a factory load of the same bullet weight and that makes that person a trained killer. (How would they know the powder charge used in any load after firing?)
Defense attorney: Well, MR/Ms prosecutor, my client has never fired a factory round in 30+ years of reloading for competition and hunting rounds. At the time of the shooting, he was using his normal hunting rounds that are legal in the state of Oklahoma for taking game legally.
The State of Oklahoma has no law on the books that specify the velocity or types of powder/primer combo's to take game legally so in that case your Honor, I submit that this entire Prosecution is bogus and you must dismiss the case.
End of story, see ya later.
You misunderstood the article completely. It's not saying "the round is illegal," it's saying that--without a reference standard--the ballistic comparison could cast doubt on your story. From the article:

How do investigators determine whether you shot the bat-wielding maniac from less than 10 feet, like you claim, or more than 20 feet, as some witnesses reported? They compare gunshot residue and burns left behind on the victim, the furniture, and the walls, with that from identical ammo fired from the same gun in laboratory tests.​

But then, you've made your thoughts on science pretty clear.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A good shoot is a good shoot. This seems like the same comparison as to caliber: "Your Honor, the defendant chose a large, powerful handgun, a 10MM auto, (loud gasp from courtroom) when he could have opted for the much safer caliber of .22LR for his self-defense needs. But noooooooo! He is obviously a deranged, crazed individual who simply wants to kill people!"

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Defense Atty: Your honor my client had to used extra Hi-velocity reloaded hollow points so an intruder trying to do harm to his family wouldn't suffer from a slow death when my client dumped a what he thought was a maximum allowed 10 round magazine into the intruder. LoL
The don't use reloads theory is just a theory and a prosecutor can present his theory. I wouldn't be afraid to use the proper reloaded cartridge/ammo in my gun for defense.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I highly doubt "science" is going to be able to determine whether you shot someone from 10 vs 20 feet based on ballistics alone. I can't imagine any handgun still resulting in powder burns at 10 feet, much less 20. Velocity difference from 10-20 feet would be negligible. I've read of SD in even factory ammo that would be larger than the velocity drop in 10 feet.

So maybe they could determine that the bad guy wasn't shot at point blank range, but was far enough away to not leave powder burns.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I highly doubt "science" is going to be able to determine whether you shot someone from 10 vs 20 feet based on ballistics alone. I can't imagine any handgun still resulting in powder burns at 10 feet, much less 20. Velocity difference from 10-20 feet would be negligible. I've read of SD in even factory ammo that would be larger than the velocity drop in 10 feet.

So maybe they could determine that the bad guy wasn't shot at point blank range, but was far enough away to not leave powder burns.
It's not just velocity and powder burns; it's powder residue, and the dispersal pattern thereof over both the shootee (I refuse to call him a "victim") and the surrounding area. The difference between, say, a low-flash powder and an energetic, dirty powder could be dramatic.

There are all sorts of variables and clues that you just don't think about unless you've trained in the field. I'm certain I haven't considered a whole lot of things a ballistics tech would, and I have some prior background in sciences and engineering (way back in the dusty cobwebs of my mind). That's why we have expert witnesses.

And yes, some of it may be pseudoscience, but if it passes a Daubert challenge, it's going to be heard by the jury. Best not to give any ammunition (ha!) to the prosecution that you don't have to.

As to the OP's comment that his handloads are more accurate, I'm sure they are; the question is, what level of accuracy do you need? Is that extra inch of group spread at 25 yards really going to be relevant? Are you really going to be able to take advantage of it when under the stress of a lethal encounter (the only time you should be shooting anyway)? Minute-of-angle is nice, but minute-of-critter is probably good enough; as Gen. Patton said, don't let the perfect become the enemy of the good.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

One thing to be aware of is that powder burns and powder residue are not the same thing. A well-experienced criminalist can make a very good estimate of the distance from the muzzle to the target and even though various factors will be considered, these estimates are usually quite accurate. The closer the shot, the more concentrated the residue on the target.

Factory loads merely permit a better comparison of the test results as opposed to the use of hand loads. The use of hand loads won't by itself make a legitimate self-defense shooting into a crime, but it might make self-defense harder to establish in court, particularly when the distance from the shooter to the target is in contention.

Latest posts

Top Bottom