Re-loaded ammo in carry pistol ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's all well and good as far as investigators determining justification. But there's an easy fix. Don't shoot anyone that doesn't need shooting and if you do need to shoot someone, don't lie about the circumstances. Problem averted.
Read the whole thread. It's not about "lying about the circumstances;" it's about inconsistencies due to the investigators not having data for your specific load, and about the possibility of other witnesses telling a different story. In the face of a stressful event, perception and memory can become highly unreliable even with the best of intentions, to say nothing of Joe Crackhead's momma swearing he was a good boy who dindu nuffin' and was on his way to church when you shot him from across the street for no reason.

Your story will be tested, including forensically. If the investigators can't replicate it with the data they have, that's a question that has to be answered. It's not saying you lied about the circumstances--it's that they don't know the circumstances, because your specific load data is one of the circumstances, and they don't have the relevant information on that bit.

We can go back and forth on this all day, but I'm going to stick with my advice to not add variables to an already-ugly equation. Each of us is, of course, free to do as he chooses, but if you're in the situation of adding non-OEM holes to somebody, you've already had a spectacularly bad turn of luck; why even take the chance of adding to your troubles?

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reloaded ammo in your SD firearm is well a piece of brass with a primer that ignites powder to produce enough pressure to send a piece of lead out a barrel just like the stuff Ive bought at walmart.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Read the whole thread. It's not about "lying about the circumstances;" it's about inconsistencies due to the investigators not having data for your specific load, and about the possibility of other witnesses telling a different story. In the face of a stressful event, perception and memory can become highly unreliable even with the best of intentions, to say nothing of Joe Crackhead's momma swearing he was a good boy who dindu nuffin' and was on his way to church when you shot him from across the street for no reason.

Your story will be tested, including forensically. If the investigators can't replicate it with the data they have, that's a question that has to be answered. It's not saying you lied about the circumstances--it's that they don't know the circumstances, because your specific load data is one of the circumstances, and they don't have the relevant information on that bit.

We can go back and forth on this all day, but I'm going to stick with my advice to not add variables to an already-ugly equation. Each of us is, of course, free to do as he chooses, but if you're in the situation of adding non-OEM holes to somebody, you've already had a spectacularly bad turn of luck; why even take the chance of adding to your troubles?
Well for the record I do carry factory ammo. I've heard this wive's tale for years and years and have never heard of a single case cited where reloaded ammo was an issue one way or the other.

I suppose in large urban areas in blue states that are pre-dispositioned as anti-gun it could be an issue in theory, but I don't go to such places and seriously doubt it would happen in Oklahoma at all.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
about the possibility of other witnesses telling a different story.
Darrin Wilson in Ferguson Missouri can attest to that issue. Lying witnesses put him in jeopardy of losing his freedom. It still cost him his job, and his life will suffer from the false accusations from here on out.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know what bullets I have in a pistol. I know exactly the load data on all of my reloaded bullets. I do not believe that changing lots of powder in a pistol round is going to be a significant difference from one lot to the next to a point that it would change the data to estimate distance.
The only way I could see there being an issue is if someone did not know the data for the reload they are shooting. Most people I know that reload are a little OCD about keeping track of load information.
If I had 20 round in magazines from a box of ammo, I would have the rest of that box setting in the safe.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I first started SASS back in 2000, a similar question came up about not using a single action revolver because a prosecuter would paint you as a wannabe cowboy looking for a gunfight. One of our members was a lawyer, and he preached it for a couple of years. Someone finally challenged him to find a court case, and he failed. He finally changed his theory, said use what you want, it shouldn't matter. All that said, I still would not recommend a Colt .45 as a self defense gun, as capable as it may be for that purpose. I believe there are better choices.
I thought about the reload question once, I had my 1911 loaded with reloads, on the way to a range. If the need had arisen, I sure wouldn't have taken the time to remove the reloads and re-stuff with Hornaday Critical Defense.

Robert Mettler

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to start off by saying that I reload. My primary reason for reloading is to have affordable ammo for practice. That being said I have always carried factory ammo in my edc gun. My reasoning has been i can find where many people have tested these rounds to assess how effective they are. The people that have the fear of a highly motivated prosecutor using a reload theory to convince a jury you were out to destroy another human probably should get more training. The facts that count are did you have a justifiable reason to defend yourself? If not well good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom