Re-sighting my .243.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vearl

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having to re-sight my .243 rifle. Had some old bullets from earlier this year. So off to the range I went.
Had enough to sight into the 25 yd. and then moved out to the 50 yd line. This is what kind of group I got at 50 yds. All of the rounds shot were mixed brass and cast bullets were not weighed to match.
Next t
20180131_175940.jpg
rip I will finish up at the 100 yd line. with matching brass and bullet weight. Got a group size of 1 1/2 inch. The black circle is 3 inches in diam.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
cast from a 243 very nice.
do you know what powder and load amount?
I found red dot works very well in my 30-06 11.5 gr for 1400 fps with 170gr cast gas checked.

vearl

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Swampratt....
For the .243 ,I'm using unique powder at 10 grains. Bullets from my mold cast a weight of 101 grains. Approx: 1600 ft per sec.
For my 30-06, I use unique powder at 16 grains. Bullets from my mold weigh 178 grains. Approx: 1650 ft per sec.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am no expert, Farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr from it, so this is what I have been told. The 80gr bullet is inherently the most accurate bullet weight for a 243. That is all we use and it works well for us. Again, this is something I was told. I am sure this is going to open Pandora's box.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HHHMMM very interesting about the 80 gr bullet.
So which one?
I have 2 different 168 gr bullets for my .308 and one is very accurate with many loads and the other is not very accurate.
The not very accurate is the higher BC bullet.
Then 2 different 165 gr bullets in the 308 and one shoots excellent and the other is a dud both sierra game kings.

Do not get me started on my 30-06 which I have tried 4 different 150gr flat base bullets in and only 1 was worth a darn and Hornady changed it. Thanks Hornady. NOT!

The way to see if the 80 is more accurate would to do load work up.. say make loads 3 of each grain size and step them up in .3 gr steps like a ladder test and go shoot them.

Take the 80gr and take a 100 gr and take a 90 gr and see what you get.
100 yards is too close.. 200 will tell the story.

So which bullets?
I shot the 87 gr V-max a lot in my .243 it is very accurate and kills very well.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am no expert, Farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr from it, so this is what I have been told. The 80gr bullet is inherently the most accurate bullet weight for a 243. That is all we use and it works well for us. Again, this is something I was told. I am sure this is going to open Pandora's box.
I keep going back to those 85gr Sierra GameKings in my Model 7 243....and they keep impressing me. I've tried multiple other loads and bullets over the last year or two but still get awesome accuracy and performance on deer with these little pills.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
slas is that the 1530 part number?
Yep. I load them up with Varget. Don't have my load data in front of me but if I remember they're generally leaving around 2900 fps. Just shot some at 200 yards a few weeks ago along with some 100 grainers and the 85's just shine in my little rifle. I'm also always impressed when they hit a deer....I've never had to follow a blood trail yet with them, but with the hole they always make it wouldn't be an issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom