Ready to collect mo data on 6.5 creedmoor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@swampratt I used a Hornady OAL gauge with modified case for each bullet type. Each time I had to drop my bore snake down the barrel to tap the bullet out.
I hear ya on the yardage deal. I plan to shoot em further.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just enjoy the pursuit of handloading and don’t get wrapped around the axel with group shooting at a certain distance.

Contemplate the logic of my rifle shoots 1 1/2” groups at 100 yards, 1” groups at 300 yards therefore it’s a good load. This statement assumes it shoots <1/2 MOA even beyond 300 yards, but does it really? A good load will perform good throughout its ballistic arch. It’s up to you to determine what is good.

I can shoot <1/2 moa at 100 yards and also hit a 10” gong at close to 1000 yards but I couldn’t tell you what kind of groups it shoots at 200, 300, .... yards. Last weekend my gong got twisted up after getting hit at 490 yards. It was almost sideways on edge in my view through the scope. I had 3 maybe 4 inches of plate to shoot at. Busted it on the 2 shot after a corrected wind call. My point is, LR hunting and PRS type shooting is not group shooting, if you want that get into benchrest.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just enjoy the pursuit of handloading and don’t get wrapped around the axel with group shooting at a certain distance.

Contemplate the logic of my rifle shoots 1 1/2” groups at 100 yards, 1” groups at 300 yards therefore it’s a good load. This statement assumes it shoots <1/2 MOA even beyond 300 yards, but does it really? A good load will perform good throughout its ballistic arch. It’s up to you to determine what is good.

I can shoot <1/2 moa at 100 yards and also hit a 10” gong at close to 1000 yards but I couldn’t tell you what kind of groups it shoots at 200, 300, .... yards. Last weekend my gong got twisted up after getting hit at 490 yards. It was almost sideways on edge in my view through the scope. I had 3 maybe 4 inches of plate to shoot at. Busted it on the 2 shot after a corrected wind call. My point is, LR hunting and PRS type shooting is not group shooting, if you want that get into benchrest.
I think we are on the same page. If it doesn't group at 100, it ain't gonna get better down range. I see trying to shoot a group as testing my load consistency and my ability to control my rifle.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a thought....and I'm certainly not advocating doing anything dangerous.

I noticed your reporting of muzzle velocity on your reloads. Depending on your accuracy node you should be able to get more velocity out of that Creedmoor. With its small primer it should be able to take a little higher pressure. I could get 2887fps out of my sons 260 using Remington brass, H4350, and Berger 140gr Hybrids. With Lapua brass, H4350, and 143gr ELD-X bullets we're getting 2775 and the 260 rem. is a large primer. Both chamberings are very similar.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a thought....and I'm certainly not advocating doing anything dangerous.

I noticed your reporting of muzzle velocity on your reloads. Depending on your accuracy node you should be able to get more velocity out of that Creedmoor. With its small primer it should be able to take a little higher pressure. I could get 2887fps out of my sons 260 using Remington brass, H4350, and Berger 140gr Hybrids. With Lapua brass, H4350, and 143gr ELD-X bullets we're getting 2775 and the 260 rem. is a large primer. Both chamberings are very similar.
I appreciate your input! I'm loading large primer 6.5 creedmoor. The loads I shot were the first I've loaded for this rifle an they were in the mid to lower end of powder range. I have two buddies with 260s they load for so I'm familiar with what your saying about similarities to the 6.5.
Edit: 130gr Sierra tgk over 36.5gr(max load) of H4895 @2672fps did leave a very faint ejector mark. 36gr load @2682fps was spotless.

Last edited:

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do bench and prone distance shooting. Accuracy is important. It's my limited experience that grouping at 300/400 makes a difference ( also knowing exactly what your bullet drop is at each 100 yards to your max distance) as does knowing if your shots at 100 are not yet stabilize. I have little knowledge but lots of learn on the job experience. Not the go to guy for info but picking the brain of someone that knows the show is a great benefit that I hope the exploit the hell out of...Ha.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Accuracy is important. It's my limited experience that grouping at 300/400 makes a difference ( also knowing exactly what your bullet drop is at each 100 yards to your max distance) as does knowing if your shots at 100 are not yet stabilize.

If you don't mind, please explain what you mean by "stabilize".

Do bullets fired from the same rifle stabilize at the same point in space at the same velocity each and every time or are they always variable, and, how so are they unstable? Do they wobble in flight/not rotate around the center of axis, is it due to barrel twist, or bullet construction?

Be careful how you answer this, induced bullet yaw will play hell with ballistic physics not to mention programs.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't mind, please explain what you mean by "stabilize".

Do bullets fired from the same rifle stabilize at the same point in space at the same velocity each and every time or are they always variable, and, how so are they unstable? Do they wobble in flight/not rotate around the center of axis, is it due to barrel twist, or bullet construction?

Be careful how you answer this, induced bullet yaw will play hell with ballistic physics not to mention programs.
My limited knowledge (I mean that) length of barrel, velocity, twist...yada, yada, and the information I've received from some of the top distance shooters, the bullet may not true for a distance. Yes wobble a bit. If this is a trick question to determine my ignorance in the subject, no need. I'm still in a learning cycle using the best info I can get and experience at the range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom