Ready to collect mo data on 6.5 creedmoor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Double check under that piece of foam in the corner and see if theres another stem in there.

Sure enough there was another seating stem under the foam.
It is deep enough. Sorry for the badmouth Hornady this one is all on me.
There is in the instruction book under more foam 2 extra decapping pins and a circle clip for the floating seater die.

Lonewatie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure enough there was another seating stem under the foam.
It is deep enough. Sorry for the badmouth Hornady this one is all on me.
There is in the instruction book under more foam 2 extra decapping pins and a circle clip for the floating seater die.
Glad it was there, Hornady has always been great like that!

Sent from my WIENER using Tapatalk

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got some more built up and ready. One repeat load, a few adjusted loads and a few new loads.
IMG_5382.JPG

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I ran out of the sample pack of Match Monsters from MidSouth by Nosler. I loaded some more Horn 140 ELD/M and some more Barnes 140 Match Burners. I also got into my Nosler 140 RDF's that I hadn't tried. I shot the same 37gr load of RL15 again under the Match Burners and it strung horizontal just like last weekend. I also loaded 5 of em with a .2 charge bump to make 37.2gr of RL15 and here is the result.
IMG_5389.JPG

^yeah it went from horizontal to vertical. Still pretty good in my opinion.
The other best group of the day went to my initial trial of the RDF. The data is written there by the group. One shot came in 35fps under the avg for some reason and wrecked the ES but it's still a good group.
IMG_5390.JPG

Then just to include the Hornady ELD-M and since it had the highest velocity with best ES and SD here is what it did today. This load is getting better as I increase the charge weight it seems. I may put the data together so others can see what I'm seeing on it since this is 4 times I've adjusted the charge.
IMG_5391.JPG

DISCLAIMER: this stuff is what's I'm doing and it ain't killed me yet.
DISCLAIMER #2: I refuse to use H4350 cuz too many people like it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking good and I hope I can get my H4350 to come together.
I shot at 200 yards today and nothing looked good from my 6.5 Creedmoor.
My .308 Savage was shooting well with a couple different loads.

Like you I will play with charge weights and OAL and see if I can make it come together.
100 Yards looked promising but 200 yards and the groups went 10X larger on the 6.5.

Your targets look great..easy to read and all.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking good and I hope I can get my H4350 to come together.
I shot at 200 yards today and nothing looked good from my 6.5 Creedmoor.
My .308 Savage was shooting well with a couple different loads.

Like you I will play with charge weights and OAL and see if I can make it come together.
100 Yards looked promising but 200 yards and the groups went 10X larger on the 6.5.

Your targets look great..easy to read and all.
Are you catching your velocity? I'm pretty sure you've mentioned having a chronograph before..?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep I recorded my velocity on this Creedmoor.
But this time around I used Virgin Brass that was resized and some die formed .308 cases that had not filled out the shoulders yet.
I will get back to it with this 1 time fired brass as I have found it shoots a tick better than Virgin stuff.
Even Lapua right out of the box in .308 shot in my .308's shoots better on round 2.

I had loaded 45.0 and 45.5 gr on Federal and Lapua cases on 6.5 CR.
My velocity 1st shot of the day clean barrel 45.0gr with a slight crimped case because my die was not set correctly.
2973 fps. next 2 of the same load NO crimp 2933 and 2938 fps.
That was the best of the day for that gun.
First shot was high and left by 2" and next 2 shots were right beside each other horizontally 1/2" apart.

Rest of the loads were 2" to 4" junk.
200 yards.

I read on a forum today a guy called Hornady and talked with them about the 123 ELD M bullets and said he was having a really hard time making them shoot good.
Hornady told him "Make them Jump" Said .030 to 1.30" was what many shooters were telling Hornady that worked well for them with the ELD M bullets.

He began seating them deeper and groups kept getting tighter and tighter.
I may need to revisit the 4064 powder and seat deeper.
H4350 fills the case to a point I may be able to get the first load seated to jump them .030" as of now I am at .005".

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last week target below. I switched to Peterson brass so I dropped my previous charge weights and started working up again.
Color code:
Blue: IMR 4350/Hornady 140 eldM
Yellow: RL-15/Barnes 140 match burner
Top left two groups are imr4350 and RDF 140's. Visited with a buddy and he said those bullets needed more jump in his tests. These jumped 50thou
IMG_5944.JPG

This week I pushed more on the RL-15 loads. Focused on the best imr4350/eldM load from last week. Jumped the RDF's further.
IMG_6045.JPG

Top left of the target above is factory ammo and a lil scope adjustment. Center target is 10 shots of a load that's been really looking good. I got aggravated about that one that went right. Lol. Top right target I know I caused the low shot. Still no pressure signs to speak of with RL-15 at .3 over Data max. The RDF's do look a little better jumping further I think. These are still wasted bullets at 100yds. However, I'm now ready to stretch a couple of these out and see if it's really been a waste. I don't see too many using RL-15 so it's my favorite cuz that's how I operate. The Peterson brass has less case volume so the RL-15 loads give some room. IMR4350 in Peterson brass is getting compressed just a tick at my seating depths. You can here em shake just a bit but I do feel the bullet push the powder upon seating. That's why I decided 41.2 to be my best option with that combo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom