Real estate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I know of someone looking for an acreage within a half hour of north metro area and I was shocked at the asking prices and at what they are willing to pay. These folks aren't making big money either.

Near Choctaw, about a mile from the new turnpike, six acres, 50 year old house that needs work, a couple of small run down out buildings, going for $225K.

That might be the going rate but wow!

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if it is true or not but I have heard that people are leaving California and New York (being driven out due to politics) and moving to Oklahoma because the housing is far more reasonable here than other places. I personally want to move but homes elsewhere are through the roof and really not worth the money. They're older, and taxes are higher as well and then I've got to think about the potential of crime, gun ownership, self-protection etc. And then factor in people who riot, loot and burn-that's on top of the crime problem and there is little recourse should one be accosted by some useless human. And people like me pay taxes to pay the salaries of both liberal and conservative politicians.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going to try and sell. My kids want me and the wife to go live with them (in communist Illinois). So I have my kids coming down in 2 days. They said they would take care of everything......cleaning, dealing with the realtor, etc. I love my kids........ SIL, daughter, grandson. The idea of going to a anti-gun state is killing me though.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m going to try and sell. My kids want me and the wife to go live with them (in communist Illinois). So I have my kids coming down in 2 days. They said they would take care of everything......cleaning, dealing with the realtor, etc. I love my kids........ SIL, daughter, grandson. The idea of going to a anti-gun state is killing me though.

That's about a sad story, if it were me I'd think long and hard about that.. We have kids, grand kids and you know what ? They have their own life.. Weigh heavy on what your giving up and think "if" you'll gain..

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wait a year and see where the market is after the bank owned tidal wave of defaults hits the market. Many of those defaults will keep folks completely out of the housing market for a minimum of three years.

How about the millions of people with now devastated scores lucky just to find a rental.

It may be a seller’s market today but it won’t be forever.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know of someone looking for an acreage within a half hour of north metro area and I was shocked at the asking prices and at what they are willing to pay. These folks aren't making big money either.

Near Choctaw, about a mile from the new turnpike, six acres, 50 year old house that needs work, a couple of small run down out buildings, going for $225K.

That might be the going rate but wow!

Currently, that is the case..

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Location?

Not a metro area. Way down SWOK. Those prices seem crazy. We bought two whole sections a few years ago, joined, no roads dividing for something like $150/acre. Came with all rights too. I thought it was bad in 2010 when a buddy picked up 10acres in McCloud for $100k.

Last edited:

Judi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You'll be sorry.....

Very anti-gun...You need a FOID...before you can even look at a gun, then the nonsense waiting before you can pick up your gun...Taxes....enjoy...You'll be SORRY.....

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So here's a few anecdotal points to quell any panic we might be sharing about real estate prices here:

1. It's easy to ignore housing prices if you already own a home, and often your concept of a "fair price" will be whatever was common when you bought a home. Real estate prices do rise over time for the simple fact that they aren't making any more land. If you bought a 3bd/2ba home when it cost $100K then of course $200K for that same home now will seem wild, but that price increase is going to reflect that the area around you now has more schools, shopping, better roads, fiber internet services, etc.

2. There still is plenty of unoccupied land if you are willing to live on well water/propane/satellite/rural electricity. I just got back from a cross country drive and there's so much unused land out there. If you can afford to not live near where there's jobs (because you're retired or work virtually) then you can get land for cheaper than near cities.

3. People moving to OK probably are not super snobby leftists from the coasts. Those people tend to move to places like Montana or Wyoming. There's also not a bunch of basement dwelling Antifa types moving here either because those people don't have jobs or money to move. It's very likely going to be families moving here who need affordable living, although who knows if they'll bring their politics and voting habits with them. As much as we dislike the idea of out-of-staters moving here and turning the state blue, there's a LOT of native Oklahomans who will become hardened democrats on their own.

Latest posts

Top Bottom