Real estate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"New" homes is one to be careful about buying. We had been looking at older homes, and seeing prices, we looked at some of the new home builder's work. One "builder" in one addition had a model home and a couple being in the construction phase. We looked at the two homes under construction and they were building with studs on 24" centers instead of 16".

A 2x4 is 9 bucks now.. Sure they weren't 32..lol..

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
"New" homes is one to be careful about buying. We had been looking at older homes, and seeing prices, we looked at some of the new home builder's work. One "builder" in one addition had a model home and a couple being in the construction phase. We looked at the two homes under construction and they were building with studs on 24" centers instead of 16".
If they were 2x8 studs that is not a problem.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry... I meant 2"x6".

If they were 2"x4" that's not good unless something has changed that I don't know about. It's been a while since I framed a house. Back then 2x6 studs were on 24" centers.
Yeah, 16" on center for 2x4s and 24" on center for 2x6es are the standards of which I'm aware. Unless you're my dad--the garage/shop he built has all the studs on 16" centers, even the 2x8s (not a typo) he used for the first floor studs. But, as he said whenever the inspector said "but code is only...", he wasn't building to code, he was building for himself. I betcha that garage is still standing long after the house has disintegrated...

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know of someone looking for an acreage within a half hour of north metro area and I was shocked at the asking prices and at what they are willing to pay. These folks aren't making big money either.

Near Choctaw, about a mile from the new turnpike, six acres, 50 year old house that needs work, a couple of small run down out buildings, going for $225K.

That might be the going rate but wow!
People want out of the cities after covid, they want a homestead.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's always been the American dream for a many to move to the country and do the country thing, now with the kung flu and current environment prices have soared.. Appraisals are only a starting point, people are flocking from other states and countries.. Besides the above mentioned the weed industry likely has some bearing on it as well.. If we go back a year ago that place that sold for 241k would have list for about 120-150k.. Crazy knows no bounds..
Our friends just sold their 40 acre place with a 2000 sq ft home that is a metal building with a heated flooring system east of OKC for $500,000. Issue was that the buyer wanted to remain anonymous. Turned out to be a Chinese conglomerate as the seller was a sister of the broker.
Weed? most possibly as the broker said foreign interests are buying land in Ok at the asking price.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Our friends just sold their 40 acre place with a 2000 sq ft home that is a metal building with a heated flooring system east of OKC for $500,000. Issue was that the buyer wanted to remain anonymous. Turned out to be a Chinese conglomerate as the seller was a sister of the broker.
Weed? most possibly as the broker said foreign interests are buying land in Ok at the asking price.
Interesting.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some entry level builders do in fact do 24” on center for interior walls especially. I am not 100% certain you can on exterior walls. But I do know they require a lot of metal strapping from slab to frame and from top plate up material, at least we do so, but our frames are engineered also which Oklahoma doesn’t require.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom