Real estate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Price of lumber sees dramatic increase. Lumber prices have risen significantly since April, with some lumber costing between 80 and even 150 percent more than it did just a few months ago.
Didn't Trump increase tariff or import costs on lumber from Canada in the last couple of years? Even Sheetrock has gone up dramatically.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They build more on 24's due to the increased insulating efficiency. Wood is a terrible insulator, so less studs equals more insulation.
Some entry level builders do in fact do 24” on center for interior walls especially. I am not 100% certain you can on exterior walls. But I do know they require a lot of metal strapping from slab to frame and from top plate up material, at least we do so, but our frames are engineered also which Oklahoma doesn’t require.
You can sure see the homes in one Ponca City neighborhood that put 24" centers on the roof, then used a single sheet of plywood for sheathing before applying the shingles. You can see every board in the roof profile.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can sure see the homes in one Ponca City neighborhood that put 24" centers on the roof, then used a single sheet of plywood for sheathing before applying the shingles. You can see every board in the roof profile.

For as Mayberry a town as it is, there sure are some crappy homes there. Let's of nice old homes too, but some real s***boxes too lol. Hartford to S. Ave, 13th to Waverly. Shame too, most of those houses could be really charming if owners gave two poops. Wonder if it's directly because the population booms over the last century. Houses built as fast as they could and whatnot.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For as Mayberry a town as it is, there sure are some crappy homes there. Let's of nice old homes too, but some real s***boxes too lol. Hartford to S. Ave, 13th to Waverly. Shame too, most of those houses could be really charming if owners gave two poops. Wonder if it's directly because the population booms over the last century. Houses built as fast as they could and whatnot.
This is an addition that was built in the early 90's South of Prospect and east of Pecan Rd. Every one of those homes has 24" centers on the roofs and you can see it. I'd be afraid to walk on it.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is an addition that was built in the early 90's South of Prospect and east of Pecan Rd. Every one of those homes has 24" centers on the roofs and you can see it. I'd be afraid to walk on it.

LOL, I don't think I've ever been in there. That's crazy. I do remember the pink columns house by the pond entrance though. Sucks to be them. Even though the 24OC is way more heat/cold efficient, that math never adds up for rafters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom