Real ID Compliance v.s. SDA ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since Oklahoma has failed to meet the standard from HSA on Real ID, does that impact in any way the validity of our SDA CCP's when we may travel??? If our DL cannot (or won't) be accepted as "real ID", does that mean the permits we have ALSO do not adequately prove who we are??
Anybody know??

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by "validity when we travel". Validity isn't affected. It's a handgun license and that's it. The handgun license isn't Real ID compliant (of course) and probably never will be. The Real ID (AFAIK) only affects Federal facilities that require an ID to enter and boarding aircraft.

Last edited:

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't been around long enough to know whether or not folks use their permit as identification, hence my question. Concerned that some over zealous out of state agent would connect that since my DL isn't "REAL", therefore my CCP isn't either....probly just me howling at the moon.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I read the requirements for compliant id's correctly, your sda card appears to fit the bill. It should be accepted as a stand alone state id card for tsa and admission to fed facilities.
My commission card has been accepted twice out of state to enter a federal facility. Both times they asked for alternative id, however we were still on the extension list at the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You carry license gives you the ability to carry nothing else it has never been and never will be a form of ID

I used my cc license as a second form of ID at the bank. Guy freeked when he saw it, but I was doing business for our gun club. It finally soaked into his rattled brain that it was an appropriate ID. He did ask if I was carrying. No comment was my reply.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The SDA permit is not intended to be used for anything beyond presenting to local and state LE during official contact when you're armed. It will not help you with REAL ID.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used my cc license as a second form of ID at the bank. Guy freeked when he saw it, but I was doing business for our gun club. It finally soaked into his rattled brain that it was an appropriate ID. He did ask if I was carrying. No comment was my reply.

I worked at a bank and I can't remember 100% if we accepted them as a secondary form of ID for opening accounts. I know if you tried to cash a check it was not acceptable, and people would get real mad at me for not cashing their check with just that (no clue why they would only choose to carry it instead of an ok I'd also) a couple even went as far to say crap like "do you know what this ID means" I would inform them that if they had their fire arm with them they need to remove it from the premise.

I do stand by my comment on them not being used as a valid ID, I doubt most places would let you buy liquor or cigarettes with a ccl even with the age restrictions on them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked at a bank and I can't remember 100% if we accepted them as a secondary form of ID for opening accounts. I know if you tried to cash a check it was not acceptable, and people would get real mad at me for not cashing their check with just that (no clue why they would only choose to carry it instead of an ok I'd also) a couple even went as far to say crap like "do you know what this ID means" I would inform them that if they had their fire arm with them they need to remove it from the premise.

I do stand by my comment on them not being used as a valid ID, I doubt most places would let you buy liquor or cigarettes with a ccl even with the age restrictions on them.

I don't disagree. I used it as a secondary Id doing gun club business with our bank. I don't think the guy had ever seen one before and he accepted it. Some may not.
It was amusing to see his reaction when he looked at it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom