Really Needing Some Help From the Knife Guru's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trust me, you can field dress a deer with any blade. You don't need any speciality blade. A common pocket folder will do just fine. The sharper the better.
Don't ask me how I know this......
That being said, Yes, there are better tools for the job.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, anytime I have to use a folder for field dressing, it sucks. bits and pieces get down in the handle and can be a pain to clean out. The more I've thought about it, I think I'll buy a small fixed blade that I am more apt to carry. Something like the Hidden Canyon hunter by BM. I have multiple fixed blades now, but due to their size they always stay in the truck. I always end up out there with whatever folder I'm carrying. That's why I was thinking the Buck in S30v might work. But the BM Hidden Canyon is also S30v and the fixed blade is a better option after using it versus a folder.

While in my search, I also came across the ZT 0450. It looks like it would fit the bill of an every day carry knife while still being small in the pocket. I feel like I'm leaning towards ZT as their QC department seems to be in better shape then BM's. BM's customer service department after the purchase has become their QC. Below are the BM fixed blade and ZT 0450. Thanks again for all of the advice!
Hidden Canyon.PNG

0450.PNG

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either or both of those are fine for what you want to do.In another thread I talked about when I wear slacks I carry a Kershaw leek which is really thin and doesn't take up a lot of room.I often carry a case mini copperlock which is also pretty thin for a pocket knife but quite a bit stouter than the Kershaw leek.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So this is kinda like "does this dress make me look fat?". No real right answer, just depends on your point of view.
1. I am a BM guy through and through, mainly due to being issued so many over the years in the Army. I have bought a few BM knives as well and not regretted the decisions ever.
2. ZT is a well respected brand that has certainly taken a bite out of the market. I never have owned one as I am generally brand loyal and BM is my knife company.
So whatever ya get, please write it up for us all to share....

Latest posts

Top Bottom