Rebarrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlBrownTruck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a model 54 Winchester in 30-06 I'm thinking about rebarrelling to 25-06. This is a controlled round feed action in nice condition, except for a tiny bit of pitting in the rifling about 6-7 inches from the muzzle. Does anyone know of any problems with this action that would suggest that I shouldn't do what I described?
20171202_072543.jpg
20171202_072418.jpg

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a model 54 Winchester in 30-06 I'm thinking about rebarrelling to 25-06. This is a controlled round feed action in nice condition, except for a tiny bit of pitting in the rifling about 6-7 inches from the muzzle. Does anyone know of any problems with this action that would suggest that I shouldn't do what I described?View attachment 324916View attachment 324917
Beauty!

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your 54 is some what of a collectors item.
To rebarrel and use current stock at todays prices would be very expensive to match barrel contour.
If your going to replace stock and barrel,
Buy a new gun.
They can be had starting about $299 for savage 111 and up.
Gone are the days of swap out a barrel for cheap.
At today's prices you'll be looking at probably $1.5-2K for the job

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your 54 is some what of a collectors item.
To rebarrel and use current stock at todays prices would be very expensive to match barrel contour.
If your going to replace stock and barrel,
Buy a new gun.
They can be had starting about $299 for savage 111 and up.
Gone are the days of swap out a barrel for cheap.
At today's prices you'll be looking at probably $1.5-2K for the job
I was going to rebarrel a Ruger a few years ago and got the same advice which I took.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Matt Stewart of Stewart Rifles LLC (here in Oklahoma) charged me $430 to chamber, install and Cerakote a barrel on my FN SPR (controlled round feed) about a month ago.

His work is top notch as well. He's done three barrels for me, two on CRF Winchester actions.

Here is (5) shots at 385 yards from the first FN rifle he put a barrel on for me:
20221112_142047.jpg

The hardest part for some is going to be waiting a few months to get your rifle back. He has a pretty good log of work waiting...and for a good reason.

OlBrownTruck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Matt Stewart of Stewart Rifles LLC (here in Oklahoma) charged me $430 to chamber, install and Cerakote a barrel on my FN SPR (controlled round feed) about a month ago.

His work is top notch as well. He's done three barrels for me, two on CRF Winchester actions.

Here is (5) shots at 385 yards from the first FN rifle he put a barrel on for me:
View attachment 325234

The hardest part for some is going to be waiting a few months to get your rifle back. He has a pretty good log of work waiting...and for a good reason.
Was that price in addition to the purchase price of the barrel itself? Seems reasonable that it would be. As for the wait time, I've been waiting for 40 years, a few more months wouldn't be a big deal...
I have a model 54 Winchester in 30-06 I'm thinking about rebarrelling to 25-06. This is a controlled round feed action in nice condition, except for a tiny bit of pitting in the rifling about 6-7 inches from the muzzle. Does anyone know of any problems with this action that would suggest that I shouldn't do what I described?View attachment 324916View attachment 324917
I don't believe the stock is a factory piece, but I'm really not sure. According to the serial number, the rifle was made in 1926. I'm also not sure if it was originally drilled and tapped for scope mounts. I'm just not sure about if, or how much, I'd be hurting the value, given that it doesn't appear to be in original condition. As far as I can tell, it's just a nice old shooter. I have another 30-06, a model 70 Winchester, that shoots very nice. I did the trigger myself and you can cover 4 shots with a dime at 100 yards. This rifle, in 25-06, would be the ice cream on top of the peach cobbler... Lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom