Recent (2021) Heartland Flyer experiences?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

38Super

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did a quick search but it seemed like everything was a couple of years old. Taking it this weekend for little getaway. Any tips? Does not appear weapons of any type are "allowed". No checked baggage only carry-on.
Just looking for any recent reviews;

Thanks

Art

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We rode it a few years ago from Norman to Ft Worth. It was a pleasant ride. Not going to save you any time compared to driving by any means, but it was a fun experience. We continued on to San Antonio on the Texas Eagle. So nice to just hop on, open a book, and hop off at your destination.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have ridden it many times , the last time being a year ago. they check my ticket as I get on and thats the only interaction I have with them. I have been armed with handgun , knife and pepper spray each time concealed

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just allow for problems whenever your not the one behind the wheel.
Rode to fort worth -uneventful
The ride back, well about pauls valley a 7 hour delay while they cleared track/replaced track or something.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the leg from Ft Worth to San Antonio, we had to stop for about an hour delay somewhere outside of Austin. My understanding is that since AMTRAK doesn't own the tracks, they have to defer to freight trains from the companies who do. If there's not another passing lane before the two trains meet, the AMTRAK will have to wait for the oncoming train to pass.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the leg from Ft Worth to San Antonio, we had to stop for about an hour delay somewhere outside of Austin. My understanding is that since AMTRAK doesn't own the tracks, they have to defer to freight trains from the companies who do. If there's not another passing lane before the two trains meet, the AMTRAK will have to wait for the oncoming train to pass.

Business before pleasure.

The locks on the M-K Nav Channel are the same. Takes about 3+ hours to lock thru a double. If you meet one coming at you sometimes the captain will let you lock back thru with the push boat. If they’re going the same way as you, you’re gonna have a long wait.

Latest posts

Top Bottom