Recognize this emblem???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These sights tend to pop up on eBay from time to time (complete or parts) so just keep an eye out.

Interesting that the sight is a Lyman 48M. The "M" designation sights were designed for use on various Mausers. You will typically see the 48S model installed on 1903's. Do you mind posting a few photos of the rest of the rifle? Is it a Springfield, RIA, or Remington?

Here is a high number RIA that I previously owned with a Lyman 48S rear sight and 17A front globe sight installed. The small circular brass can with the orange Lyman label shown in the photo contained a handful of alternate front sight inserts for the 17A.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I came across a couple on eBay in the $150-$160 range. It's a Remington 03-A3. Somebody cobbled it up, milling off the rear receiver ring to mount the sight. It's gonna' make it difficult to mount a scope, unless I use a side mount. It has a sporter stock on it, and apparently the trigger has been replaced. I have not had it out of the stock yet. I'll post some more pics later.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a Remington 03-A3. Somebody cobbled it up, milling off the rear receiver ring to mount the sight.

Thanks for clarifying...that's why it didn't appear to be an A3 in the photos above. It's a shame because the 1903A3 version of the 48S would have fit the rifle without any alteration to the receiver bridge. The rear sight would only have needed to be removed. If you could find another 48M that is missing the elevation slide for a reasonable price, that would probably be your best option. An S&K scope mount for a 1903 might work as well. It is a cantilever style that attaches via the cutoff, so it should in theory work on an A3 as well.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom