Recommend a Pocket Gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks everyone. Im basically going to keep my eyes peeled and the first good deal I find on any of these guns im going to buy. If I like it ill keep, if not sale or trade for another one. I really like what im reading about the P938 and I would have never considered it without this thread.

thanks a lot.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Shield is a nice gun, but make sure it will actually fit in your pockets before you buy. When I was in the market for a pocket gun I really wanted one of these, but ended up deciding it was just too big. I went with a Kahr CM9 instead. I like it a lot better than my old .380 Kel Tec, but it has some issues... finnicky mags that sometimes cause the first round on my spare to nose-dive on the reload if I'm not careful, and though it's striker fired, it has a really long (but light and smooth) trigger pull, like a really nice DA pull on a worked-over revolver. The Glock 43 wasn't on the market at the time I bought the Kahr. I would have probably gone with the Glock if it was. The glock is just a bit larger than the Kahr, but smaller than the Shield.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just bought a PF9 and shot it and I hate it, but I hate shooting all tiny guns like this just due to the way they feel in my hands and the snappy recoil.

trigger reminds me of my friends DB.380...long and terrible. I understand you don't want a 2# competition trigger on a carry gun but damn.

The search for my pocket gun continues...I feel like I need a wheel gun.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just bought a PF9 and shot it and I hate it, but I hate shooting all tiny guns like this just due to the way they feel in my hands and the snappy recoil.

trigger reminds me of my friends DB.380...long and terrible. I understand you don't want a 2# competition trigger on a carry gun but damn.

Try an M&P Shield with an Apex drop-in trigger. I think the guns a are about the same size but the Shield does weigh a little more.

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned 2 sig 938's, recently acquired a G43, I think for what it's intended for the G43 is by far a better pocket carry, I'm a huge fan of the 1911 grip angle but the 43 fits my hand much better for drawing from a holster, what it's meant for, I'm a smaller guy, 5'6", just my input, by the way the weight of is great also

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

If you like the idea of a revolver for the pocket, the Ruger LCR can be had in 38 Sp, 357 Mag and 9mm. The LCR in also available in 327 Federal ... which is an interesting round ... and it holds six rounds.

I have a S&W TALO 637. This gun has S&W's Performance Center's "enhanced action" and it is very smooth with a really nice trigger right out of the box. I wanted the wheel gun over the auto (Glock 43) for the usual reasons. Abject reliability, no new mags to buy and that should I ever have to pocket the weapon without a holster I can without the fear of blowing my wife's favorite nads off.

The S&W 637 does have a hammer and IF I could have chosen, I would have bought the S&W638 with the shroud. That said, I have no issues in how I carry getting the hammer "snagged" when drawing. I have shot my late father's 1957 Colt Detective Special quite a bit so having the hammer is not an issue for me.

Snubbies take a lot of practice. Should I ever have to use mine I am confident that I can hit the target before the crap coming down my pant leg distracts me.

Need to add ... when I first got mine, I went to the range. Nice shooting gun. Great point and shoot gun and shooting at the typical 5/10 yard range it is not hard to draw and put rounds on target. So channeling my inner Jerry Miculek, I back a fresh target out to 20 yards. Line up and shoot (single action) aiming at the X-ring in the center of the chest on the silhouette. Pull the target back in and the shot was right between the eyes of the silhouette.

Some guy walking by gives me a thumbs up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom