Recommend a scope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for a fairly inexpensive (a couple hundred bucks max) scope/rings for a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39. I don't want to spend more than the rifle is worth, but I also don't want a cheap piece of junk.. Treat me as if I don't know much about scopes....because I don't. Thanks in advance.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for a fairly inexpensive (a couple hundred bucks max) scope/rings for a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39. I don't want to spend more than the rifle is worth, but I also don't want a cheap piece of junk.. Treat me as if I don't know much about scopes....because I don't. Thanks in advance.
Vortex, Vortex, Vortex....and vortex .... unbeatable value when you consider their warranty

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've pretty much gone all Vortex. They got 4 grades I believe. Then, each grade has all the models with your usual scope number stuff. Power range, objective diameter etc.
Crossfire(cheapest), Diamondback, Viper and then Razor(most expensive).

I've got a couple Diamondback 4-12x40 that I really like. They cost me $200 each. I've got a Diamondback tactical also that's dang nice with exposed turrets which is nice for dialing if necessary. It cost $299.

Your intended purpose will determine what ya need.

Last edited:

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nikon Buckmaster II and Talley rings.
I don’t have a Nikon Buckmaster but have a Nikon p223 that’s been plenty good. I do have Talley rings and love them.
That should keep you around $200 budget.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nikon Buckmaster II and Talley rings.
I don’t have a Nikon Buckmaster but have a Nikon p223 that’s been plenty good. I do have Talley rings and love them.
That should keep you around $200 budget.
I have a Nikon Buckmaster II on my daughters .223. 4-12x40 with bdc reticle. I think it was $175ish at Walmart. Been a good scope.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you ever have any issue with vortex they will repair it free........PERIOD! I do t know anyone with a warranty as solid as Vortex

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hawke!! I have 14 of them !! Will fit nicely in your price range too! The Endurance or Vantage will serve you well in that price range get. Try E A Arthur and Associates for a nice price too!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many times you can find the Nikon scopes on sale for 99 bucks (3-9x40) Super clear and I have never had one fail.
I have 3 of the 3-9x40 and a 2-7x32 and a 4-12x40 Nikon.

Low light they are excellent with sun in your face or your back the glass is clear and glare free.
Many scopes have an odd shadow or glare in certain light.
I have not tried Vortex yet.

I keep getting these Nikons on sale.