Recommend a scope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many times you can find the Nikon scopes on sale for 99 bucks (3-9x40) Super clear and I have never had one fail.
I have 3 of the 3-9x40 and a 2-7x32 and a 4-12x40 Nikon.

Low light they are excellent with sun in your face or your back the glass is clear and glare free.
Many scopes have an odd shadow or glare in certain light.
I have not tried Vortex yet.

I keep getting these Nikons on sale.
If you drop your rifle off a and bust your Vortex they will fix it, If I sell you my vortex and you drop it off a cliff and bust it they will fix it......they are the snap-on Of scopes

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vortex, Vortex, Vortex....and vortex .... unbeatable value when you consider their warranty
I do like my Vortex and Burris products BUT, with what Primary arms offers for the 7.62x39 I wouldn't go any other route.. The problem is you said a couple and not a few, $300 or there abouts and you be happy.. Primary arms offers lifetime warranty on most of their optics, There is a good many lifetime warranties and a good many good reconized brands but when it comes to a reticle, PA, hands down.. You tube the said scope and you'll find lots of positives.. I've got 3 and looking at another in 4-14,
https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-1-6x24mm-sfp-scope-w-acss-300blk-7-62x39-reticle
You can often buy'em at optics planet and save $$

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do like my Vortex and Burris products BUT, with what Primary arms offers for the 7.62x39 I wouldn't go any other route.. The problem is you said a couple and not a few, $300 or there abouts and you be happy.. Primary arms offers lifetime warranty on most of their optics, There is a good many lifetime warranties and a good many good reconized brands but when it comes to a reticle, PA, hands down.. You tube the said scope and you'll find lots of positives.. I've got 3 and looking at another in 4-14,
https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-1-6x24mm-sfp-scope-w-acss-300blk-7-62x39-reticle
You can often buy'em at optics planet and save $$
You will never convince PA is bette Han vortex, that being said Vortex doesn’t make an 7.62x39 reticle. I have an AR in 7.62x39 I don’t want one on the AK but I do need one on the AR flattop

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will never convince PA is bette Han vortex, that being said Vortex doesn’t make an 7.62x39 reticle. I have an AR in 7.62x39 I don’t want one on the AK but I do need one on the AR flattop

PA, is up and coming on strong, customer service is 5 stars, glass is great, NO one has the reticles (more than one) that they do, well Trijicon did buy or lease the right to use one :-) ACSS, Advanced combined shooting system for the ACOG.. There's a ton of you tubes on them.. Have you gandered at the reticles they offer.. I have Vortex and Burris and have no complaints but when a reticle can assure shot placement and has built in proven ranging I'm all in.. I'm looking at the 4-14 first focal plane $280, 3 year warranty..

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will tell you what I will do for you I will loan you a Nikon 3-9 you get your rings and stuff to stick it on there and use it for awhile and see if you like it.
Shoot it in different light outside or at least look through it if not shooting.

Then after a few months if you feel the need to step up to a different scope or reticle then you have some experience with a scope with good glass to compare it with.

Offer is up.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will tell you what I will do for you I will loan you a Nikon 3-9 you get your rings and stuff to stick it on there and use it for awhile and see if you like it.
Shoot it in different light outside or at least look through it if not shooting.

Then after a few months if you feel the need to step up to a different scope or reticle then you have some experience with a scope with good glass to compare it with.

Offer is up.

That's a generous offer and I REALLY appreciate it. However, I have a problem borrowing things. I almost hate to do it because it makes me a nervous wreck to be in possession of and responsible for someone else's stuff. Just the thought of it makes me anxious. That may sound weird but I hope you get it. Seriously though, it's awesome that you offered it up.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying.
I am the same way.
I assume you never had any rifle scopes???
I used to really like the Tasco scopes but the recent ones have all failed on me Centerpoint scopes were decent many years ago but the glare and ghosting is horrible and they changed and the quality really fell . Simmons was the same way with glare and ghosting.
I had an older nikon buckmaster a 3-9x40 and the crosshairs were very thick which is great for hunting large game in low light and not so good for shooting tiny holes far away. the center of the crosshairs would cover up 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards.

Not good for shooting 1/4" groups at 100 so i got a Centerpoint mil dot 4-16x40 and it covered 1/4" at 100.
I still have that scope and it was just as clear as the Nikon.
Todays Nikon in my mind got a bit more clear.

Just last week I had another Tasco fail on me and took it back to academy and traded for another Nikon.

You can go to academy and look through many scopes and play with the zoom and play with the focus and look through them in the store and notice eye position and look for ghosting or odd shadows when you move your head sideways away from centering your eye.
many scopes you need to be right in line with the glass and your eye get a little off to the side and the sight picture is wiped out to black.
Nikon is very generous in a way you can have your eye off to the side a little and still get a great view..this helps when trying to get on target really quick.

I have hunted rabbit with an sks and a scope on it. You had to get that running sucker in the view really fast.
I did find Hollow point 110 gr and rabbit do not make for much to eat.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SKS/Rabbit...hilarious. You're right, I'm just now educating myself on scopes. I've had a couple but I didn't take the time to learn much.
Thanks for the advice.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may be harder on my scopes than some people I have had them fall off the back of the 4 wheeler and my centerpoint that has not failed dropped from 10 foot to the ground and never lost zero.
I have stayed out hunting in a down pour all day with a soaked rifle and scope then have had it frozen.
It is a tool and needs to be a good one to withstand my use of it.
I think your Nikon will suit you well.

Yep SKS I had all my guns stolen and wife got me an SKS that was years ago and i went meat hunting.
That did not pan out well. First one I shot left rabbit fur and hide strung out for 15 feet and some furry hide was as high as 4 feet hanging in the bushy trees beside the trail I shot it on.
Never found that rabbit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom