Recommend me a good scale?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a GemPro 250, Redding #1 and Redding #2. Electronic is good, and usually less sensitive to air currents. Even the Redding #2 will be all OVER the place if the A/C kicks on. Some people say you can just average the movement of the beam in your head, but that makes some pretty strong assumptions about the linearity of the movement outside of zero.

You can get by even with most cheap digitals if you know how to avoid their pitfalls. One is to be wary of the reality that some of them don't behave super great with slowly trickling up. The easy way to test is to trickle up to your desired weight, then let it settle and see if it moves. Then finally totally remove it, then re-add it and see if it returns to the same reading.

Another is to watch for drift and non-repeatability. This can easily be done by rechecking zero and using a check weight (or many).

I also make mini check weights out of ordinary objects. I have made them as low as .1gn. Then I try them out in all my scales to see if they all agree with each other.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good is relative, but I've been using a little Frankford Arsenal scale for a while and it's worked well for me. Think they're about $30 from Midway, Amazon, etc.

I haven't had the problem with trickling that the person in this video did, but most of the time I'm not looking for that level of precision. When I am I go back to the Lee balance beam scale. I like the idea of having two so I can use one as an occasional sanity check for the other.

I been using this same scale for little over 2 years and so far no problems with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems to be working fine for me, but I haven't done a ton with it. Seemed pretty consistent with what my Lee power measure was kicking out. I need to unpack my Lee balance scale and compare them, though.

grizhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When loading test ammo for shooting groups I weigh bullets, brass and powder on a digital scale. I want consistency but I weigh each bullet & brass several times and take the weight that comes up the most. example: 22-250 55gr bullet might weigh 55.1, 55.3, 55.1, 55.2, 55.1 I will call this bullet a 55.1 gr bullet but I sure would like a scale that would weigh the bullet the same every time.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have 3 or so scales laying about. mostly use the Hornady digital, the big model not the small portable battery operated version (altho i have that one as well), a new in the box RCBS balance scale, and i think there is a used one around here somewhere. i've trickled into the larger Hornady.

the 650Xl throws consistant charges, but i adapted the Hornady powder dispenser for it, I measure every 10-20 rounds for accuracy of the charge. i usually wait until i have 1K cases ready to load, and as the dispenser and press get used more during the process i weigh more often. and bullets! i've gotten 90gr bullets in a bag of 64gr bullets. if it looks strange, weigh it

grizhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having worked in a lab with two different lab grade electronic scales I doubt I'll ever be able to trust hobby grade electronics. One of ours was so sensitive it would fluctuate as you walked up to the bench it was on. I've been tempted to try one and verify with my beam scale, but I'll just keep my beam. It's easy enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom