Recommend Tractor Upgrade From My Ford 4000

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It would still be cheaper to hang an implement on the back (brush-hog, box-blade, etc.). The bucket on smaller tractors is also proportionately smaller than on larger ones.

I've operated equipment. :drunk2:
Me too, all my life.
It's simple physics. The bucket and it's weight extends way beyond the front wheels so with the weight of the bucket and the gear to operate it, it almost outweighs the balance of the tractor. The front assist (4WD) takes care of 70% of the work. I've had the rear wheels of my tractor in the air while the front are getting me out of some muck. I had to put in a riparian buffer several years back and it was wet. My mid size 2WD International that weighs over 9700 lbs couldn't pull the drill to put the grass seed in. Wheel spin.
My Mahindra 3650 with front assist pulled the drill easily at 3500 lbs tractor weight. That's how much the front assist helps.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me too, all my life.
It's simple physics. The bucket and it's weight extends way beyond the front wheels so with the weight of the bucket and the gear to operate it, it almost outweighs the balance of the tractor. The front assist (4WD) takes care of 70% of the work. I've had the rear wheels of my tractor in the air while the front are getting me out of some muck. I had to put in a riparian buffer several years back and it was wet. My mid size 2WD International that weighs over 9700 lbs couldn't pull the drill to put the grass seed in. Wheel spin.
My Mahindra 3650 with front assist pulled the drill easily at 3500 lbs tractor weight. That's how much the front assist helps.
As mentioned, weight on the rear compensates for the load on the front.

I operated back-hoes for hire (to Arco, Union-76, and others) while working for an oil-field service company.

As I said, there are times when you need a 4WD, but there are also times when you do not. We can agree to disagree if you wish.
:drunk2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As mentioned, weight on the rear compensates for the load on the front.

I operated back-hoes for hire (to Arco, Union-76, and others) while working for an oil-field service company.

As I said, there are times when you need a 4WD, but there are also times when you do not. We can agree to disagree if you wish.
:drunk2:
IN the compact tractor field we are talking, not heavy equipment, there is a difference. Backhoe's have a compensating weight front and rear as well as outriggers to compensate. Bucket in the front and hoe in the back.
The 25-40 hp diesel compact tractors are weight heavy in the front.
4WD required to make them efficient.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or some weight on the rear (brush-hog, box-blade, etc.), as mentioned. ;)
I mentioned that earlier. Those compact classification tractors can get you sucking wind in a heartbeat without having something on the rear to compensate for the front loader weight.
I built a bar for the 3 point that can hold how ever many suitcase weighs it wants to load on ours.
It makes a difference.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 132760 I have a TYM 43 HP Diesel 2013 4 wheel drive quick detach loader & bucket 720 hours. 2 hydra on rear. Saw the other day TYM is building some MAHINDRA . $13'000.00 405 381 2204 PS 4 cylinder Perkins diesel. Had the complete fluid & filter change at 500 hours. & has shuttle shift Love the tilt cylinder on the 3 point with a box blade
ill give you a solid maybe on that and thank you for offering it up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom