Recommendation on Vacation Ideas within 1 day drive from Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If wanting to limit travel time I second the vote for Kansas City. Great food, WWI museum is outstanding, and Arabia Steamboat museum is good.

Bentonville,AR is close and good for a couple of days. I really like the Stockyards in Ft. Worth.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your looking for a quiet place to stay that is cool in the summer and not far from Tulsa, stay on one of the resorts on Lake Tanneycomo Missouri. Just outside of Branson like a mile or two depending on where you stay.
We do Lilley's landing Resort. Right on the water which is about 56 degrees that creates a natural air conditioner. Fabulous place that has firepits with free wood, great fly shop, new pool, outstanding marina with boat rentals and great trout fishing right off the dock. It's the nicest resort on Lake Tanneycomo. Huge trout to be caught as well. 20+ pounders.
You would literally be 5 minutes from Branson, and depending on where you wanted to go, it's on one of the backroads with little traffic so one can be from one end of Branson to the other end in minutes, vs an hour if driving on the main road through downtown during the busy times. If Lilley's is booked up there are three more resorts next door that will be available.
Fabulous dining at the College of the Ozarks across the river that takes almost a month ahead to get reservations. Tablerock lake is minutes away. Boat rentals, and lots of accommodations.
If you like outdoor stuff like floating a river, stay in Harrison Arkansas and float the Buffalo River which is the first national river. It's absolutely beautiful with 300' bluffs and wildlife everywhere. Pretty good smallmouth bass fishing with light tackle. Cold water makes for a nice day even if hot outside.
Red River NM is a great destination in the summer. Nice and cool, good restaurants and you can take the ski lift to the top for another restaurant that is basically a burger/beer joint, but there is some really good hiking up there. Rent a UTV and go to Goose lake that is beautiful.
Eureka springs is an eclectic place for a lot of diverse people and street entertainers in the summer. Beaver lake and the White River for a day of floating is nearby.
Kansas City Mo for urban entertainment.
I'll think of more, but that's it for now with your requirements.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some great suggestions have been mentioned. You need to make a decision very soon because of the holiday weekend. I imagine that most places are already booked so it’s going to be a challenge. Good luck

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So the wife and I are finally getting some time off the first week of July. We are looking for ideas of places to go and visit that are within a one day drive. We are also not looking to break the bank. Any suggestions for West or East? (Not to interested in Texas)
I know many of you are well traveled. Thank you in advance.
PS It needs to be a pet friendly trip. Our pup is too young to board.
Guymon, OK

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So the wife and I have been pouring over all the options. After looking at the places and the drives, we have decided to stay local and do 3-4 day trips. Maybe one overnight stay in the mix. The other locations were just not ideal for traveling with a puppy. We will definitely be hitting a few of them once the pup is fixed and able to be boarded with his big sisters.
Thank you to all for the great suggestions!

Latest posts

Top Bottom