Recommendation on Vacation Ideas within 1 day drive from Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
So the wife and I have been pouring over all the options. After looking at the places and the drives, we have decided to stay local and do 3-4 day trips. Maybe one overnight stay in the mix. The other locations were just not ideal for traveling with a puppy. We will definitely be hitting a few of them once the pup is fixed and able to be boarded with his big sisters.
Thank you to all for the great suggestions!

There’s cabins in Kenton! Pup friendly I believe!

KG5VW

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in Durango right now. Never been here. The mountain weather is gorgeous. We found an AirBNB relatively close that was reasonably priced. The wife and I are getting a dose of the cool mountain air before the hot muggy Oklahoma summer sets in.
CO550 north to Silverton and spend a good part of the day there. Ouray is on that road also. About 40 minutes west from Durango is Mesa Verde NP, about an hour and a half north on CO550 and a few miles back east is Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP. Both are great parks if in that area.

KG5VW

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you take 412/64 west you can make Taos, in about 8 hours from Tulsa and Trinidad, CO in roughly 9 hours. From Trinidad take Highway of Legends over to Cuchara and enjoy the mountain scenery and cool weather with hikes around the Spanish Peaks area. Good trout fishing around that area too, plus a little over an hour and a half over to Great Sand Dunes NP. If you camp there are places for free or cheap to camp around the Bear Lake/Blue Lake area or tent camp at Cordova Pass at the base of the west Spanish Peak at about 10,000 ft.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I'm in Durango right now. Never been here. The mountain weather is gorgeous. We found an AirBNB relatively close that was reasonably priced. The wife and I are getting a dose of the cool mountain air before the hot muggy Oklahoma summer sets in.
Don’t miss Mesa Verde.
Trout fishing is awesome on the San Juan River; I can recommend a guide service.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t miss Mesa Verde.
Trout fishing is awesome on the San Juan River; I can recommend a guide service.
Don't necessarily need a guide on the San Juan unless wanting to drift fish. Park at the first public access below the dam, and walk about 1/4 mile or a little more towards the dam, wade in and use the famous San Juan worm. Thats where that fly was developed, and it works.
I did hire a guide the first time we went there, but once I found out where to go, went back without one for a couple more trips catching just as many fish.

Latest posts

Top Bottom