Recommendations for a new push mower?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've been paying a local kid for the last 6 or 7 years, but now my son is old enough in my opinion to start taking over. I need to get him a basic push mower. I don't want a self-propelled one - for one, I don't want to pay the extra money, and for another, he could use the exercise to help him build some muscle mass and strength. He's not overweight like his dad, luckily, but he's a small skinny kid (like I was at his age) and could use the strength training.

We have about a 1/3 acre lot with fairly small, moderate slopes. Nothing overly taxing. We definitely want to bag the clippings - I've talked to my wife about it, and she is adamant.

Our budget is around the $200 mark. We checked out Lowe's, Tractor Supply, Atwood's and Wally World today. Nothing spectacular there, but then, in that pricerange, you wouldn't expect much.

We don't want a bunch of bells and whistles, just a solid bagging system, strong motor with good pull start and a strong handle - I remember in my younger days fighting with the crappy handles on some cheap-ass mowers that just kept breaking or wouldn't stay tightened down.

Any recommendations for a gem in the weeds? ;)

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a new Craftsman from Sears a few years ago after my used one kicked the bucket. It was under $200, push, bag, mulch, just like your wanting. Big wheels in the rear and small up front. Prob had it for about 5 years now and no problems. I use 100% gas, don't winterize it, keep it in the shed, washed it once, starts everytime. I'll see if I can find a link but the price may be different now.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would probably get one with power drive anyway, non-power is pretty atypical with a good bagging system.

Plus it is exercise just mowing, mowing without power drive is misery, don't make him suffer, if he hates it, he wont want to do it.

Most of these threads that come up people recommend Honda, I've seen some reconditioned units at HD for under $300. My youngest son bought a reconditioned Husqvarna at Lowes for $275.

Me? I buy used mowers, not sure what my deal is, but I get cheap mowers, and seem to get a lot of life out of them. I'm currently on a Snapper Commercial that I bought on OSA in 2009 or so for $125. It's a beast, great for mulching, the bagging is just OK but I rarely bag, better and easier to mulch.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Honda powered rear bagging self propelled cub cadet during fall close out in 2009 from TSC and it still runs and mows well, Had to replace the drive cable 2 years ago.. The bagger is none too big and adds plenty extra work to the mowing task, but it is holding up well.. I'm under the belief that most mowers are made by MTD and painted/ branded accordingly.. I would think you'll need to move to the $300 range before your going to find a gem in a new mower..

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a Honda motor version at Lowe's yesterday... I am thinking it was $250 which I think is pretty good. Not sure the wife will want to go to $250, got a lot of expenses in the next 60 days... lots of international plane tickets, some surgery costs for the mother in law, saving for vacation, etc. $50 ain't gonna break the bank, but when we set a budget for something, she tends to be pretty stickler. :blush:

Here's the one I was looking at. It looks like a pretty good deal, and the Honda motor is a MAJOR plus.

Last edited:

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one of these from Walmart at least 6 years ago. Was mowing my Gma's place, needed something to go around all the trees, around the edges, under the fence-lines, etc... Was hoping to get a couple years out of it, but the dang thing still runs like a top, starts on first or second pull every time. I have hit stumps with it, stopping the blade cold and making it die. Figured I'd bend the shaft, but it starts right back up with zero wobble. Granted it doesn't feel like a Honda, there's an element of cheapness to it, but it does run and runs well, as long as you're cutting reasonable grass, not cutting foot tall stuff.

Gma has since passed and my dad uses it now to edge around his place, don't think you could find a better one for a cheaper price, might look into the bagged model for a little more if you don't like cut grass strewn about..

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lawton is a used mower market. Where the military guys are always selling their mowers before they move to a new post. The last one I got was a $300 mower, that was still new in the box. I paid $100 for it on craigslist.
If you are going to buy a cheap mower, pay for horsepower.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That Murray isn't a bad deal, but the bagging capability is a necessity, for sure. I have tried to tell the wife if we cut frequently and only a short amount, leaving the clippings will be good for the lawn (i.e., they're small amounts at a time) as it will return nutrients to the soil. She points to our neighbor across the street who has an immaculate lawn and she has gotten advice from him, and he always bags his. But, to be fair, he fertilizes and feeds constantly, has a sprinkler setup (we don't - yet) and we see him on his hands and knees picking blades of unauthorized grass out of his lawn.

He's retired.

I'm not.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only bag once or twice in early season to try and keep from spreading weeds. The rest of the time I mulch and grass doesn't seem to care either way. I don't like bagging, so I don't bag. And my wife doesn't say anything, if she wants it bagged, she can do it. lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom