Recommendations for a new push mower?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barn Dog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had nothing but good luck with Craftsman mowers. I wouldn't worry too much about sears going bankrupt, mowers are pretty simple and mine has a briggs motor on it. Shouldn't be hard at all to find parts. Even with a self propelled model and a full bag the kids gonna get a good working.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've had nothing but good luck with Craftsman mowers. I wouldn't worry too much about sears going bankrupt, mowers are pretty simple and mine has a briggs motor on it. Shouldn't be hard at all to find parts. Even with a self propelled model and a full bag the kids gonna get a good working.

The Craftsman brand was bought by Stanley Black & Decker. Craftsman parts will not be a problem.

cm_osu

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In your price range, pick the color you like best. There is nothing wrong with mtd mowers. They're simple and parts are cheap and easy to repair. As others have said self propel is probably best if you have to bag. If you don't mind making a few repairs, find an older snapper hivac.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
And don't make your kid push a damn mower on a 1/3 acre. The kid won't gain muscle or get in shape doing that ****. All he will do is get pissed and resent you. Teach him hard work and responsibility another way. Making him push a POS $200 mover over 15k square feet of lawn is not the way to do it.

Bwahahahaha! Ok, man. It's not a big lawn. He'll get over it.

Man, I grew up doing 1/2 an acre....... never knew I had it so rough. :D

IKR? I mowed for cash, and I remember routinely doing an all-day job on a 1.5 acre plot with my mom's beat-up push mower. Hell, I didn't know there was such a thing as self-propelled. Maybe there wasn't back then, I dunno. I didn't bag, though.

Don't worry, Parks, my wife has softened up and thinks I should get him a push mower, so he won't be abused by having to push and grow up to hate me and become a serial killer or something. :hey3:

Every snowflake's got a mommy who loves them, right? lol

Last edited:

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cheap mowers will cost you much more in the end. In 1989 I bought a $600 John Deere self propelled mower with all attachments (mulch kit, spare blades, etc).
Used it every week until we moved 6 yrs ago but I still use it to mow the ditch on our 1 acre lot. It's Kawasaki engine has never had anything done to it except for new spark plugs. Had I bought MTD, Craftsman, I'd have a spent 2-3 times as much on mowers over 27 years. What a shame that our society is accepting this throw-away culture.
Even major appliances fit the category nowdays. :cry3:

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The mower looks good, One thing I found about a lot of them is the blades SUCK. They have what is supposed to be a high lift blade and it does a curve half way down and they just don't work very well. A friend had a mower with that kind of blade and it was just a pain to deal with. Went and picked up one of the "Gator" blades and it cut like a dream after that. And BTW I believe this is what the cub cadet mowers use as an OEM blade which is why they cut so well.

Gator blade
detail_oep_G6.jpg

Most OEM style blades
95-041_0.jpg

Funny talking about mowers however. Overheard someone on the CB last year talking about spending five or six thousand on a new riding mower. Told them for that much I would get an old pickup and build my own. All I would need is a hydraulic pump and some blades. If I spend that much money on a mower I may as well be able to listen to some music and have AC while I mow. For that matter the neighbourhood kids would probably pay me to mow my yard.....

Speaking of, I have and old power chair that needs some replacement batteries.... I bet I could wire up something to make a radio control mower pretty easy.
I have a Toro 42" with dual blades and I was just complaining to my wife about how I hate the blades. Where do you get the Gator blades? Wonder if two of them would fit on my Toro?

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those blades with the slotted back side are mulching blades and they don't come on Cub Cadet mowers. Cub Cadet does sell them and they have their part number stamped in them. I have a set for my RZTS-42 and they're less efficient at discharging grass clippings than the blade in the bottom picture.

cm_osu

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Toro 42" with dual blades and I was just complaining to my wife about how I hate the blades. Where do you get the Gator blades? Wonder if two of them would fit on my Toro?
Find the right part number on this link and order it off amazon. Some places carry them locally but I'm not sure they'd have yours. I use gators on all of my mowers except my Hondas. They seem to last longer in our sandy soil.

http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/l...kup.aspx?_ga=1.79948247.1965164233.1490618869

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom