Recommendations for Manual Can Opener

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the same problem. These modern ones are designed to crap out with a plastic gear even when the rest is stainless or something. Sucker tools.
I hit the antique booths and look for guys selling dishes and pick up those ole chrome plated EKCO can openers from the 60s and 70s for a dollar or two every time I see one,
I have a p-38 on my keychain if that don't work.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Swing Away brand. They used to be made in St Louis MO, IIRC. Not sure if they still are or not.

IF you are in OKC go to the US Foods Chefs Store at I-240 & Walker.

You can buy the Swing Away just about every where, I might not buy the cheapest one but get what you can.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
1641142712945.png

Find this one. Looks like a good model that'll get the cans open without too much effort on your part. Doesn't look cheap though.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Swing Away brand. They used to be made in St Louis MO, IIRC. Not sure if they still are or not.

You can buy the Swing Away just about every where, I might not buy the cheapest one but get what you can.

SwingAway is all that I ever use. In fact, I've never owned an electric can opener......really!!

I think the last one was purchased at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

:thumbup3:

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the same problem. These modern ones are designed to crap out with a plastic gear even when the rest is stainless or something. Sucker tools.
I hit the antique booths and look for guys selling dishes and pick up those ole chrome plated EKCO can openers from the 60s and 70s for a dollar or two every time I see one,
I have a p-38 on my keychain if that don't work.
Great idea! I’m going to start looking at the antique stores

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I’ll check them out. Thanks!

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 243659

Find this one. Looks like a good model that'll get the cans open without too much effort on your part. Doesn't look cheap though.
Way out of my price range, and I’m positive that it comes with a lot of other problems that aren’t mentioned in the user’s manual

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SwingAway is all that I ever use. In fact, I've never owned an electric can opener......really!!

I think the last one was purchased at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

:thumbup3:
Never owned an electric one either, but got to admit that I was looking before I posted here. Gonna give the SwingAway a try.

Latest posts

Top Bottom