Recommendations on classes and where?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Absster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ever noticed there is a lot of acronyms for classes?! I'm struggling.

I'm looking to take a class for a I've-never-shot-a-gun but want to learn to do so. Mainly for home safety. One day, I might look into carrying but, to be honest, I'm overwhelmed. And does carry classes cover the I've never shot a gun scenario? I typically research things to death but I'm confused and could use some guidance.

tkdgeek

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not one for solid advice but my wife and I are fairly new to handgun shooting together. We picked a weekend over a few months to go to different ranges around the OKC metro, used online coupons to reduce the cost and get a free rental and then rinse and repeat. We ended up getting her a nice 22lr since she loves that it's cheap, accurate and fun. Her only real criteria in a handgun.
I'd say about 6 months in we both saw a special on private lesson for 1-2hr and decided to correct our early on mistakes on how to shoot, how to hold, etc. Loads of great information one-one-one and best money we spent on ourselves.
So in short my opinion is see a few places because they differ, shoot a box through few different handguns because they definitely differ, and enjoy the journey. Don't hesitate to ask a knowledgeable friend or get a shooting class. We are not perfectionists or great shooters. What we are is safe and enjoy our time together now and then at the range.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not one for solid advice but my wife and I are fairly new to handgun shooting together. We picked a weekend over a few months to go to different ranges around the OKC metro, used online coupons to reduce the cost and get a free rental and then rinse and repeat. We ended up getting her a nice 22lr since she loves that it's cheap, accurate and fun. Her only real criteria in a handgun.
I'd say about 6 months in we both saw a special on private lesson for 1-2hr and decided to correct our early on mistakes on how to shoot, how to hold, etc. Loads of great information one-one-one and best money we spent on ourselves.
So in short my opinion is see a few places because they differ, shoot a box through few different handguns because they definitely differ, and enjoy the journey. Don't hesitate to ask a knowledgeable friend or get a shooting class. We are not perfectionists or great shooters. What we are is safe and enjoy our time together now and then at the range.

Great post! You show the evolution of a shooter without training or bad training from a family member/friend, etc.
Our Range in Ponca City hosts a Women on Target program that trains ladies with certified instructors.
We see the ones that have received bad advice from whomever immediately.
We really appreciate seeing the ones that have never shot a pistol or rifle before and when they leave, they can offer sound advice or poo poo their prior instructor that fed them bad information.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excellent advice.

The Eat n Shoots might also be another alternative, what say your, forum?

Absster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't really thought about a budget yet..as I don't really know what any of this entails. How long does one typically take classes? I'm an eager learner but might take me a bit to get the nerves out. I know length of time might vary a lot depending on the person.

I'm in the OKC area.

Great advice! For me personally, I won't hold a loaded gun in my hand without someone next to me that knows what they are doing. And my husband..I love him, but he learned from his dad and his dad shot not one but two holes into the recliner in his house..on separate occassions...on accident. I don't feel confident in myself to walk into a gun range and give it a go. I've always been around guns so I generally know some gun safety but not enough to feel comfortable. I totally get where people can. I just don't think I can.

I wouldn't mind one on one training but I think I could do group also. I'll have to look to see how far away Ponca City is.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't really thought about a budget yet..as I don't really know what any of this entails. How long does one typically take classes? I'm an eager learner but might take me a bit to get the nerves out. I know length of time might vary a lot depending on the person.

I'm in the OKC area.

Great advice! For me personally, I won't hold a loaded gun in my hand without someone next to me that knows what they are doing. And my husband..I love him, but he learned from his dad and his dad shot not one but two holes into the recliner in his house..on separate occassions...on accident. I don't feel confident in myself to walk into a gun range and give it a go. I've always been around guns so I generally know some gun safety but not enough to feel comfortable. I totally get where people can. I just don't think I can.

I wouldn't mind one on one training but I think I could do group also. I'll have to look to see how far away Ponca City is.
Our program won't be until next year. It takes a year to get one set up with grants from the NRA for ammo,etc.
Since your in the OKC area, I'd say to contact the Wilshire gun range. They have entry level classes all the time.
Here is a link.

https://wilshiregun.com/firearm-training/

Hawkman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis has good advice, Wilshire is the newest/nicest range in the OKC area and seems to have a good variety of classes (though, I can;t seem to pull up their course calendar...). A 1 hour private lesson might better suit your schedule however--sometimes classes for beginners at square one can be few and far between. Furthermore, a private lesson with a quality instructor should improve your shooting and firearm competence rapidly. Most classes that I see are geared for people that know, even if on a basic level, how to shoot, how to grip the gun, and how to manipulate it. If you own a firearm, get comfortable with engaging/disengaging the safety, reloading, dry firing, etc. Snap caps are a good investment for such practice.

Lastly, I'd recommend Will Andrews' Pistol Skills series of classes AFTER you have a baseline competence with pistols, assuming you own or will own a pistol for personal/home defense. They are rather affordable at $80/class ($25 for every time you retake a class) for 4 hours worth of instruction (you'll shoot ~150 rounds). Usually the first class in the series (Pistol Skills 2) is taught several times a month. http://pistolskills.com/?page_id=117

}BuLL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'm in the OKC area.

Seems this class on the 5th may be a good fit.
https://bigboysgunsandammo.com/events/womens-first-firearms-11517/

Latest posts

Top Bottom