Recommended "one rifle"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been thinking on buying a new rifle and would like some recommendations. This would be if you had to have only one rifle what would it be? To be used for hunting mid size game (mid range 100 to 300 yrd max) and mainly target shooting. The main reason why is if the political landscape changes to the point where you can no longer own or shoot AR, AK, etc. types rifles what would you buy or what would you consider for the purchase?

1. For me I'm looking for something in bolt action, lever action, or pump (no semi-autos please).

2. 30 caliber or similar common easy to find round to buy and reload.

3. Capacity of at least 6 rounds

4. Easy to reload, top-off or change mags

5. If uses mags they need to be easy to find and not cost too much

6. Iron sights and option for optics

I have been looking at the 30-30 lever rifles and 308 scout rifles, but can't seam to decide. I just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing another option.

Thanks

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Take a look at CZ. I have a CZ 527FS in .223 ... great gun. Thinking about getting one in .308 Win.

They make them with all sorts of calibers, stock configurations, with or without iron sights. Very reasonably priced.

As to the mags being easy to find and priced ... not so much.

Attachments

• CZ 527FS.jpg
    CZ 527FS.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 164

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
its a good post for discussion -

the 30-30 can be a 300yd rifle but essentially its an under 200yd caliber - the round nose or flat point bullets lose velocity pretty fast making 300yd shots tough due to the bullet drop

to cover all the bases outlined you really need 2 rifles a 44magnum (for number of rounds in the magazine) and its plenty good to 150yds then bullet drop takes its toll

and a 308 bolt action - you are now covered, for everything

to stay with one rifle and 300yds the 308 is it - my 2c

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Accuracy to me is a huge decision maker.
I used a 30-30 for many years to hunt with I had a 4X redfield widefield scope and Zero was set at 250 yards.
That made me 8" high at 100 yards.

I was talking to a friend on Friday he has NO guns and used to have some.
He needs 1 rifle for a do all..I said 30-06.
He told me he thought the same thing.
I have a superb low velocity load 170gr cast gas checked and red dot powder 1400 fps.
And the 165 gr will go 2800fps and my 155 gr is 3100+ fps.
I have a .308 both guns are very accurate and the velocity edge goes to the 30-06 much less drop.

I also have the .243 and a 30-30 I take turns during deer season with them.. all will kill just the same.

Latest posts

Top Bottom