Recommended "one rifle"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
kind of a dumb post

You sir FAIL. If the topic isn't one you like then don't comment on it.

This is a great topic, and unfortunately a very real possibility in our near political future. I have been working at this myself for a number of years. I have experimented with options and my needs for years. I started where all dumb 20somethings did and chopped up a 91-30 to 16 inches. More money that it could ever be worth was dumped into it and it was fun to shoot, but could not hit the barn side of a broad at 50 yards, and having to carry a 3 pound hammer to work the bolt if I shot more than 60 rounds was dumb. Not to mention no matter how much you tried to shave weight off of it it was still SOOO heavy. From that me being left handed I had a ruger GSR lefty. It was a hoot and a half and more accurate than I am. I had to sell when I was in school, it was still a little on the heavy side, but met any and every need in a one rifle I would need. When I went back to a one rifle setup I changed gears and went with a 30-30. I got my mom's old winchester 94. It's a 1989 top eject with tons of patina and character. It was her only rifle (not even a .22) since new. It is nice and broken in, but not worn out. I love how slim and light it is and decided I wanted to make a scout out of one. Not wanting to mod my mom's old rifle I got a 336 youth and don't see myself going back. It fits my needs in every way. It's ambidextrous for left or right handers, Light weight, extremely handy, and accurate enough for me with its 16 inch barrell. Right now it wears a champion synthetic stock and will soon have ghost ring sights and an scout rail with a new vortex scout scope. It meets my needs. I won't shoot it past 200-250 yards realistically in oklahoma brush and that is pushing it. My 336 is a 5+1, where my 94 is a 7+1. Getting better at reloads is necessary, but that is its biggest short coming. I love the lever over the bolt due to how slim the rifle is. The 30-30 isn't for everyone, but it is for me.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You sir FAIL. If the topic isn't one you like then don't comment on it.

This is a great topic, and unfortunately a very real possibility in our near political future. I have been working at this myself for a number of years. I have experimented with options and my needs for years. I started where all dumb 20somethings did and chopped up a 91-30 to 16 inches. More money that it could ever be worth was dumped into it and it was fun to shoot, but could not hit the barn side of a broad at 50 yards, and having to carry a 3 pound hammer to work the bolt if I shot more than 60 rounds was dumb. Not to mention no matter how much you tried to shave weight off of it it was still SOOO heavy. From that me being left handed I had a ruger GSR lefty. It was a hoot and a half and more accurate than I am. I had to sell when I was in school, it was still a little on the heavy side, but met any and every need in a one rifle I would need. When I went back to a one rifle setup I changed gears and went with a 30-30. I got my mom's old winchester 94. It's a 1989 top eject with tons of patina and character. It was her only rifle (not even a .22) since new. It is nice and broken in, but not worn out. I love how slim and light it is and decided I wanted to make a scout out of one. Not wanting to mod my mom's old rifle I got a 336 youth and don't see myself going back. It fits my needs in every way. It's ambidextrous for left or right handers, Light weight, extremely handy, and accurate enough for me with its 16 inch barrell. Right now it wears a champion synthetic stock and will soon have ghost ring sights and an scout rail with a new vortex scout scope. It meets my needs. I won't shoot it past 200-250 yards realistically in oklahoma brush and that is pushing it. My 336 is a 5+1, where my 94 is a 7+1. Getting better at reloads is necessary, but that is its biggest short coming. I love the lever over the bolt due to how slim the rifle is. The 30-30 isn't for everyone, but it is for me.
awesome story, you should submit that to a short story publication. Or save it for your grandkids

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
516c81e28334c9b3bec82e38fc945322.jpg

OK Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's views. I'm leaning towards the 308, maybe the Ruger GSR, Savage Scout, or Mossberg MVP. I like the mag capacity in them but not sure on the scout scope with the long eye relief. Just concerned that my old eyes might not focus well with a scope mounted in the scout position. I need to try a scope out mounted in that configuration.

I had a Tikka 30-06 the mags are hard to find and $$$$$, however it did shoot factory ammo with 1 inch groups at 100yds. The mag issue is one that favors the lever action rifles, no mags to buy or drop in the woods.

As far as having an AR/AK for S%@T I agree and covered in that area I just want something for Plan B should it ever occur.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
All good choices.

Your "scout scope" concern with the longer eye relief ... while I keep both eyes open in a traditional scope mount and with red dot sights, for some reason that I could not train around I had to close my eye with a "scout" scope of 2x or more. I have friends who love their "scout scopes" but I just can't share that love. I replaced the scope with an EOTech which works great for me.

Bolt action and lever guns ... there is something that puts a smile on my face when I work a bolt or a lever on a rifle. Was thinking about another AR or another M1A but am leaning to a lever gun in 45-70. Something that is just plain cool with a big cartridge and a lever gun.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's views. I'm leaning towards the 308, maybe the Ruger GSR, Savage Scout, or Mossberg MVP. I like the mag capacity in them but not sure on the scout scope with the long eye relief.
The Mossberg MVP Scout rail is long enough to be used with a traditional scope as well as a scout type. The MVP Patrol comes with a shorter rail positioned to the rear for a traditional scope. Otherwise they're pretty much identical and good shooters, main advantage over the GSR is the MVP's ability to use non-proprietary mags such as the Magpul/DPMS LR and M1A.

Last edited:

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the parameters you gave, a bolt gun in 308 is the way to go. The short action is strong and a bolt gun has less to go wrong with it than a semi-auto or pump. Brass is plentiful and you have a large spectrum of bullet types and weights to reload for your specific hunting needs.

As previously mentioned, the factory scout rifles available will meet your needs. If you scope the rifle, you could go with a quick detach base and rings so that if something were to happen to your scope, you could quickly pull it off and go with the iron sights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom