Recommended "one rifle"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to weigh in. Back in the day, I had the choice of one rifle. Financial reasons were the reason. We didn't have the internet then to do all the research. Basically you had gun rags to be read quickly at the supermarket shelves before you got told to buy it or put it up.
So I decided to research calibers that could do it all, and then buy a rifle for that caliber.
It came down to the 30-06, .270 that Carmichael was championing at that time, or the .300 Savage. (Identical ballistics to the .308).
Every mom and pop store including rural bait shops carried those three every day of the year, so it made sense to look at those.
At the same time, I came by a single stage reloading system for free, so then started looking deeper at one that does it all, and settled on the 30-06.
55 grain at over 4000 fps to 220 grain. It has killed every animal on the face of the earth without any problem, and was the darling of the 1000 yd matches at Camp Perry for years.
Its been eclipsed many times over since, but it still shows it can be used at that distance.
Ended up with a Rem 700 adl from TG&Y. Cheapest gun on the rack in 30-06. Learned to reload and started big game hunting mainly for the food value.

Looking forward to today, the .30 cal is still the round with the most options. The .300 savage has eclipsed, and is off the market now, although I have one and its ballistics are on a level with the .308 still. Just no market out there now for reasons I don't understand.
The .270, which I have is just not as accurate for whatever reason as other calibers. I've never seen a .270 in any match. That being said, mine has killed a lot of deer and Carmichael killed a dump truck load of elk with his. Its accurate enough for that.

That leaves the .308. Still .30 cal. It still can run everything from 55 grain to 220 grain, just a 100 fps or so slower in lighter bullets, but it drops off to a lot more loss with the 180 grain and up.
Its inherently accurate with the 150 grain.
Now when I go to small shops, I still see 30-06, .270 on the shelf, but the .308 is there with them.

Back to the one gun. I would research the one caliber instead of the one gun.

Glocker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd go with a rem 700 .308. Reloading components are
easy to find everywhere, loaded ammo about anywhere
you want to find it. Parts and accessories are also readily available for the 700.
It's a military caliber, so that might be a good thing when the bottom finally falls out,,,,or not....
You could drop it in a magpul 700 hunter stock that takes higher capicity mags.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd go with a rem 700 .308. Reloading components are
easy to find everywhere, loaded ammo about anywhere
you want to find it. Parts and accessories are also readily available for the 700.
It's a military caliber, so that might be a good thing when the bottom finally falls out,,,,or not....
You could drop it in a magpul 700 hunter stock that takes higher capicity mags.
Have to agree with the Rem 700 choice but to play the one gun thing the caliber 30-06 does all big game better!!!!

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want slim and 308 the browning lever gun is great mine shoots extreamly well. Has open sights and can take a scope. Comes in every caliber. Buddy has a 358 and it's a thumper

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remington 7600 pump has iron sights and a four shot magazine but you can buy a 10 round. I would get a .270 if you are mainly hunting deer, but if you plan on Elk hunting move up to the 30-06 but they kick more if you like to shoot a lot of rounds off the bench. You've asked a pretty tough question I can't think of too many other rifles that have iron sights and a 6 shot or more magazine.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't think of too many other rifles that have iron sights and a 6 shot or more magazine.
Here's one - available in .30-06 and occasionally even .308 :)
M1-Garand-Rifle.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom