Red Castle Gun Club Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Sounds like somebody needs to work on their orientation rule delivery.
You can shoot at the different berms but it is recommended to use the bench rest for 1&2 hundred yards. Don't feel bashful about laying down between the benches.
Paper targets should only be shot from the high power pit not the silhouette berms.
The white frame in line with the road and 50yds behind the pits. Is for 50bmg and like high powered cartridges
No joke.

They took down the first target backer that used to be at the first spot. Gotta drag a frame out of the storage, drag it over just to post a target. Not sure why they took the backer down, it was much handier just to staple up a target, raise it and go on shooting.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be going since '63 . Always had to pull the frame out of the shed unless somebody was too lazy to put it away.
They kept junkers unlocked for target practice and match targets under lock and key for obvious reasons.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I knew who was spreading that BS. I often shoot at paper of the berms (CMP style) - I had a guy come up to me and a buddy and tell us we needed to go back to the covered area. Dude had his wife/girlfriend with him and acted like he was in charge. I told him to get lost (well maybe not those words). He said he was gonna report me.

I've also been shooting from the 300 yard berm, looked behind me and had some clown setting up to shoot the silhouettes. That was a colorful conversation.

IMHO putting that covered concrete up at the back was a bad move.
That's cause the little prissy silhouette shooters didn't like getting muddy

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be going since '63 . Always had to pull the frame out of the shed unless somebody was too lazy to put it away.
They kept junkers unlocked for target practice and match targets under lock and key for obvious reasons.
For several years the first target had a black backer - same stuff they used to use on the BR range. It stayed there year round.

They've got some decent ones kept unlocked, it's just a PIA. And for some old dude not in great health, I imagine it would be very difficult to put up.

And you're 100% right about the prissies in the shade. Never saw those ladies out in the 101 degree July sun lying prone lol.

user 51785

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sounds like somebody needs to work on their orientation rule delivery.
You can shoot at the different berms but it is recommended to use the bench rest for 1&2 hundred yards. Don't feel bashful about laying down between the benches.
Paper targets should only be shot from the high power pit not the silhouette berms.
The white frame in line with the road and 50yds behind the pits. Is for 50bmg and like high powered cartridges
i think most people know you should use the 100 and 200 bench rest if you're shooting at those distances. pretty sure the question is more about shooting farther and what about if you want to shoot prone. laying on the concrete sucks. fact of the matter is the rules say you can shoot from the berms on the high power range and they dont set a distance saying how far away you have to be to do it.

Last edited:

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used to be they shot 1&200 yards on high power range til 1980's when the bench rest range was built.
The benchrest range was built to free up the high power range for the "New" silhouette sport.

Information tidbit ; there used to be a big benchrest range. It belonged to the Tulsa benchrest shooters assn.
It's now at the bottom of Skiatook lake.
The concrete table tops from that range were used to build Red Castles original benchrest range.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For several years the first target had a black backer - same stuff they used to use on the BR range. It stayed there year round.

They've got some decent ones kept unlocked, it's just a PIA. And for some old dude not in great health, I imagine it would be very difficult to put up.

And you're 100% right about the prissies in the shade. Never saw those ladies out in the 101 degree July sun lying prone lol.

Especially not in a sweatshirt and shooting jacket.

Latest posts

Top Bottom