Red Dot on a HD Shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope ya don't a need dot, the ghost ring sight on mine proves sufficient for it's use.. Couple that with 00 buck 9 pellets the size of a pea and it sure makes a mess out of a milk jug.. It also brings a smile taking down small cedar trees..
DRC458 and myself took down about 50 cedar trees using #2 lead shotshells by pushing them over with the foot and shooting them off at the ground on one of my places.
Eastern red cedar is one of the few trees that won't regrow from a stump if shot off or cut off below the lowest limb.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a red dot on a tactical shotgun, but it's for play and not HD. If you haven't shot a lot of clays, that can be a game changer.
What I have seen shooting my pistols at night with a dot and a spotlight on armadillo's and other varmints in the yard, the green works way better than the red dot.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What!!???

IMG_2736.JPG

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yo
DRC458 and myself took down about 50 cedar trees using #2 lead shotshells by pushing them over with the foot and shooting them off at the ground on one of my places.
Eastern red cedar is one of the few trees that won't regrow from a stump if shot off or cut off below the lowest limb.

You are correct sir, I didn't bother to push over and there was a few that required multiple shots, but it's more entertaining than a chain saw although the stumps not quite as pretty..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yo

You are correct sir, I didn't bother to push over and there was a few that required multiple shots, but it's more entertaining than a chain saw although the stumps not quite as pretty..
Yep! we put the trees back over the stump as a reminder to not drive over them as there were some sharp ends sticking out.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd save the money and take a shotgun course but that's just me. They aren't for me on a shotgun, that MIGHT change if I had more land but I'd prefer an AR in that case anyways.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a new Aimpoint Pro in the safe. I picked it up so I'd have an excuse to buy something to sit under it so I think I'll see how that works out. I'm thinking if I use one at all I want a sight that's more compact for shotgun use because I'm use to just looking down the barrel.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a new Aimpoint Pro in the safe. I picked it up so I'd have an excuse to buy something to sit under it so I think I'll see how that works out. I'm thinking if I use one at all I want a sight that's more compact for shotgun use because I'm use to just looking down the barrel.
One of the low profile dots that are close to the bore will work well. It should come right to the eye. Let us know how it works out.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, my Aimpoint pro doesn't feel right on my shotgun. I find myself trying to look around it ,over it, under it, you get my point. So I'm figuring either an Aimpoint micro t series or an Eotech 5xx, EPX or EXPS SERIES. I never looked through an Eotech so I've gotta go handle some before I shell out that kind of money. Anyone have some thoughts on those sight options?

Plene Paratus

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, my Aimpoint pro doesn't feel right on my shotgun. I find myself trying to look around it ,over it, under it, you get my point. So I'm figuring either an Aimpoint micro t series or an Eotech 5xx, EPX or EXPS SERIES. I never looked through an Eotech so I've gotta go handle some before I shell out that kind of money. Anyone have some thoughts on those sight options?

I've never been a fan of Eotechs - I love the reticle, but have seen dozens go down in classes. The payout they were forced to make to .gov was the final nail in the coffin for me.

I have six T2's and one T1 on various rifles (with the T1 being on a shotgun), and have never had a problem with any of them.

I know some folks who run Trijicon RMR's on shotguns, and love them, so might want to give those a look.

Finally, not sure how much experience you have with dots, but you should not be looking through the Aimpoint - you should have both eyes open, focused on the target, which should leave you with an in-focus target with a red dot floating over it. I actually don't see the optic when shooting.