Red dot on a pistol...take 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can simply point a laser (from the hip if ya want), and have to sight the other on target.

FWIW, my experience (I have both btw, but not on a handgun) doesn't change the facts.
:drunk2:

While it might sound good in theory, I’ve never seen it work in actual application.

Nobody in USPSA is using a laser outside of a couple of PCC guys to pop a round off on the beep on a particular stage. Maybe 1 chance that it has a potential to work in their favor. A piece of steel, or actuating popper enabled swinger. Rarely anything that requires target acquisition. Simply pointing laser before the start. Laser laser are legal in open pistol, but I have never seen one used.

I have seen them show up in classes several times. I have never seen them good for aiming although they are entertaining to watch. Every single person shot better after the laser was turned off or disabled.

I have had few that I was helping that expressed their desire to buy a gun with a laser. About 15 minutes with my SIRT and MantisX changed their mind. A SIRT is a shot indicating reset trigger laser equipped pistol replica. It has two lasers, 1 during the trigger takeup. And another as the trigger breaks. Most of the time I have them use the SIRT with the takeup laser disabled other than for this demonstration.

I’ve helped several people develop RDS skills. The majority made great progress with the RDS. Honestly the less experienced developed faster than the better shooters with iron experience.

I personal have ran several pistol mounted RDS over the last 3 years. I’m faster than most with irons and it has been a long difficult road to get my scores close to irons. I easily have over 5000 rounds through RDS gun, likely closer to 10000. I also now have about 2000 cycles with a RDS equipped Airsoft training gun. I’m getting there. Really close to the irons. I’m faster and just as accurate at 3-7 yards. It’s a toss up at 10-15 yards, and I pick up better scores with the RDS because of accuracy at 20-25 yards.
In bullseye type competitions with generous par times, the RDS wins hands down. In comps that are time plus or hit factor it gets way more complicated, but I’m getting there.

I bought my first pistol laser 25+ years ago. The first was a guiderod laser for a SIG 226. I quickly learned its limitations. Although it was a very valuable law enforcement tool to get someone to comply while pointing a gun at them, it offered no value to shooting.

Things may change but on a rifle, most do and I have little experience with lasers on a rifle.

Rockchalk is giving good info. It’s hard to develop the technique. Most wave to try to focus their eyes in the dot instead of the target. You have to train that out of them. But once they get it, you usually see dramatic results.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've only had a laser on my M&P 45. It wouldn't hold zero more than a few shots due to moving on the pic rail in recoil. Might be better on a 9mm or a Crimson Trace grip would do better I would think. I still have it on my main home defense pistol and it's integrated with a light which is why it's still there. I have it switched to run both light and laser just in case the laser will intimidate someone to change their course of action, it's not for sighting. It was just odd shooting with it too. I kept still presenting and looking for those sights instead of that laser dot. Just hard to break that habit I guess. Not really impressed with lasers.

Out to about 5-6 yards I don't even use sights really. I think an RDS would be bothersome though up close as I do look over the slide and having that optic in my vision would be "weird" possibly. Past that range is another story, it really changes the whole game for the better on long shots but training is a must, the RDS is a completely different animal.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And that's easier than pointing a laser on target from the get-go?

To each his own, I guess. My eyes aren't too bad for open sights (lol, yet?), but when that day comes, it might be a different story.
:drunk2:
Most lasers are worthless in daylight. Green is better than red, but only at very close ranges.
They fail also in smoky, snowy, rainy conditions as they give away your positions by exposing the beam.
That being said, I shoot red dot which is different that laser on most pistols and some rifles that are used at close range for home defense and competition.
As the eyes age, and one can't focus on the rear sight, front sight and target at the same time, a red dot is the savior.
Some can't use the red dot because of astigmatism or cataracts that makes the dot into a blur.
Pups with eagle eyes can use the open sights to perfection.
One thing I do and suggest others do is to find out how to shoot when the dot fails for what ever reason or whatever situation.
Practice rolling the pistol sideways and using line of sight. You may be surprised at how far off you are and need to correct. Typically way high. It's worth practicing and knowing though.

rj ︈

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
modern-samurai-project.myshopify.com/products/red-dot-pistol-fundamentals-and-performance-2-day-course-meadhall-range-mcloud-ok-september-18-19-2021?_pos=1&_sid=d70dc925a&_ss=r

I’m going to this @Meadhall Range. I highly recommend taking this course, I took a 3day class by Jedi in Jan. Been carrying the 365xl for several weeks now and liking it.

View attachment 199205

I really have been wanting to sign up for this but can't imagine that ammo will have enough availability to even find that much ammo unless I'm willing to pay $1 a round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom