Red dot on a pistol...take 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My FN-509 needs a dot as well. Interested in the range report as well.

I have a 509 with a RMR on it, at FNX4 with a SRO on it. Getting used to them to see if I have a preference. I ordered the Holosun late last year and it just showed up a week ago, so I've yet to install.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 509 with a RMR on it, at FNX4 with a SRO on it. Getting used to them to see if I have a preference. I ordered the Holosun late last year and it just showed up a week ago, so I've yet to install.
I have the light/laser combo mounted on mine already, but sure looking for a good dot. It would be hard waiting a year. Hopefully they are in production now.
Edit: I have the Vortex prism Strikefire on a 9mm PCC with the etched double ring/ dot in the glass. If the battery goes south, the sight can still be used in daylight.
I'd like to see them make that same dot for a pistol.

Last edited:

Meadhall Range

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@dennishoddy Most of the Holosuns that are used on pistols have a solar panel on top that will power the dot if there is enough sun to save battery life and to account for a battery going dead. :) I am finding myself preferring the Holosun 509T (what I have on my main right now) or an Acro due to the enclosed emitter. No it isn't because of fogging or water but rather because I end up with a LOT (as in none) less crap in my window either due to general conditions or if I am out mowing etc. Of note there is only one spot left in that Jedlinski course as of Sunday 28March.

As to the lasers on a pistol, not my preference for a couple of reasons. Bright daylight or regular daylight at distance you can have some real issues picking up that dot. Holster support often isn't there, and a lot of the lasers don't hold up to hard use. There are a lot of other reasons they aren't recommended but the vast majority of people won't do enough actual training to listen about them and there are some specific use cases for them with some of the shorty revolvers that have crappy sites to start with. You do you boo :)
Overall with the red dots yes there is a learning curve. What I tell folks that give me the "I put a dot on my pistol and shot 500 rounds through it and my irons are much faster and I am better with them" is this: How well were you shooting irons when you had 500 rounds through your first pistol? There is a learning curve. A shorter one yes but still there. If you hang with it, get good training, and practice you will find that not only is the dot just as fast and MUCH more precise at distance but it will make you a better shooter on irons too. The dot shows you your weaknesses in a way that irons just can't.

Meadhall Range

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
modern-samurai-project.myshopify.com/products/red-dot-pistol-fundamentals-and-performance-2-day-course-meadhall-range-mcloud-ok-september-18-19-2021?_pos=1&_sid=d70dc925a&_ss=r

I’m going to this @Meadhall Range. I highly recommend taking this course, I took a 3day class by Jedi in Jan. Been carrying the 365xl for several weeks now and liking it.

View attachment 199205
Indi glad you are coming out for the class. Jedi is very much a dot and human efficiency focused kind of guy. :)

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
modern-samurai-project.myshopify.com/products/red-dot-pistol-fundamentals-and-performance-2-day-course-meadhall-range-mcloud-ok-september-18-19-2021?_pos=1&_sid=d70dc925a&_ss=r

I’m going to this @Meadhall Range. I highly recommend taking this course, I took a 3day class by Jedi in Jan. Been carrying the 365xl for several weeks now and liking it.

View attachment 199205
I've been wanting to set up a pistol with a RDS for EDC and it sounds like this training would be a great way to start.

Now if I only had a Glock MOS, a decent RDS, mounting plates, holster, a small fortune in ammo, and $500 for the class, I'd be all set. Damn!

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wanting to set up a pistol with a RDS for EDC and it sounds like this training would be a great way to start.

Now if I only had a Glock MOS, a decent RDS, mounting plates, holster, a small fortune in ammo, and $500 for the class, I'd be all set. Damn!

It’s tough, but most of the time that professional instruction and ammo investment is the key to taking your shooting to the next level.

I’ve cringed at paying $500-600 for a “quality” two day class, shooting 2000 rounds. Traveling 16 hours one way. 4 hotel nights. But in most cases, the rewards are far in excess of what I can do on my own from reading, YouTube videos, etc.

I’ve also been lucky enough to catch some really good instructors right here in town and avoided travel/lodging costs.
Bill has built some fantastic facilities at MeadHall and it’s only getting better.

I wish I could grab that open slot, but it just happens to land right on another commitment that may be a once in a lifetime chance for me.

Last edited:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It’s tough, but most of the time that professional instruction and ammo investment is the key to taking you shooting to the next level.

I’ve cringed at paying $500-600 for a “quality” two day class, shooting 2000 rounds. Traveling 16 hours one way. 4 hotel nights. But in most cases, the rewards are far in excess of what I can do on my own from reading, YouTube videos, etc.

I’ve also been lucky enough to catch some really good instructors right here in town and avoided travel/lodging costs.
Bill has built some fantastic facilities at MeadHall and it’s only getting better.

I wish I could grab that open slot, but it just happens to land right on another commitment that may be a once in a lifetime chance for me.
I'm sure this would be worth the investment and would take me to the next level especially since I've only used a red dot on a Ruger MKIII but my piggy bank just isn't big enough. [emoji53]

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@dennishoddy Most of the Holosuns that are used on pistols have a solar panel on top that will power the dot if there is enough sun to save battery life and to account for a battery going dead. :) I am finding myself preferring the Holosun 509T (what I have on my main right now) or an Acro due to the enclosed emitter. No it isn't because of fogging or water but rather because I end up with a LOT (as in none) less crap in my window either due to general conditions or if I am out mowing etc. Of note there is only one spot left in that Jedlinski course as of Sunday 28March.

As to the lasers on a pistol, not my preference for a couple of reasons. Bright daylight or regular daylight at distance you can have some real issues picking up that dot. Holster support often isn't there, and a lot of the lasers don't hold up to hard use. There are a lot of other reasons they aren't recommended but the vast majority of people won't do enough actual training to listen about them and there are some specific use cases for them with some of the shorty revolvers that have crappy sites to start with. You do you boo :)
Overall with the red dots yes there is a learning curve. What I tell folks that give me the "I put a dot on my pistol and shot 500 rounds through it and my irons are much faster and I am better with them" is this: How well were you shooting irons when you had 500 rounds through your first pistol? There is a learning curve. A shorter one yes but still there. If you hang with it, get good training, and practice you will find that not only is the dot just as fast and MUCH more precise at distance but it will make you a better shooter on irons too. The dot shows you your weaknesses in a way that irons just can't.
Agree 100%. I've been shooting USPSA and Steel Challenge for about 10 years now. Posted earlier about how worthless lasers are in daylight conditions, green or red. Put that laser on a wall and see how much wiggle you have. The same issue is going on with irons.
With aging eyes, I'm pretty much 100% red dot now, rifle and pistol in competition. Rear sight, front sight, and target can't get together anymore. Everyone will get there eventually, some earlier than others, but you will get there.
Target acquisition with the dot does require repetitive/continuous training when bringing the firearm to the eye after the draw quickly. Most firearms have a different bore axis or grip angle so moving among different platforms can cause one to need to search for the dot.
Always been a proponent of keeping the same platform in your repertoire be it glock or 1911 so one can gain consistency in using that grip angle, etc.

I do believe a laser has value in home defense when awakened in the middle of the night with a crash and someone coming down the hallway. Especially when your in fog of waking up, needing to put on glasses, etc.
When used in combo with a high lumen WML to blind the victim and the dot centered on the target that combo should be effective. Actually practiced that because that would be my scenario in our home. Practice so you know what's coming.
Lasers like any sight that is above the bore will have different POI at different ranges for a lot of reasons most new people don't think of. Ballistics, gravity, drop and so on. If sighted in at hallway ranges, nobody is going to be on target at 50 yards. Bullets don't fly like lasers shine.
That's the reason I dedicate lasers to the conditions and ranges they might be used in, home defense only in close quarters.
Good to see your range is putting on good training classes. The shooting community needs more of this offered and more shooters to take advantage of these programs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom