Red dot sight on a pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been wondering how one of those little red dot sights would work on a pistol. Have never tried one, but see one every now and then. Anyone using one on their pistol ? What you think ?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be forced to find out before too long. Sucks being able to see the target but not the sights. Old eyes...

I know the top trainer guys are warming up to them since the Trijicon RMR has proven itself almost indestructible. Just stay with a 8 MOA dot or bigger. I've shot them in competitions and smaller dots can be hard to find in a hurry.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I use them and love em'. Have a Ultradot Matchdot on my S&W Victory, a Ultradot Matchdot II on my wad gun and a Burris FastFire III on my Ruger MKIV 22/45. Takes a second to get used to it in my opinion, but after getting used to shooting with both eyes open they are great. Agree with the 8MOA recommendation from @Shadowrider, anything smaller can be a tricky thing to see unless you really train with it frequently.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got to shoot a guy's Buckmark with one on it at the range a week or so ago, and it took me a bit to figure out where the dot was, then it was a hoot to shoot. He had a 5 MOA and it was fine to me. I can see how having a bigger dot might be easier to acquire though. I'm thinking pretty hard about getting one for my new Ruger MK IV.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The fastfire III with the 8 MOA on my buddy's MK IV is hard to beat. Fast acquisition, easy to zero and a blast to use. The Matchdot II has 2,4,6,and 8 MOA settings as well as different reticle patterns if you like that sort of thing. It is a tube type so that helps with the sun's glare where the FFIII is an open concept and susceptible to the sun more easily IMHO. FFIII weights about 1oz, the Matchdots about 4.1oz so pretty negligible either way.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried an inexpensive red dot on a MK III. Worked well for bench shooting but was harder to manage if you just wanted to carry it along while walking out in the woods,

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Big issue is to practice presentation as it is much dif that reg sights. It's frustrating, but once you have it the red dot is cheating. My CZ P-09's slide is out now getting cut for RMR

Latest posts

Top Bottom