Red dot vs LPVO for blackout SBR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well its time for another optic and I once again cant decide.

I have a few bases already covered
MPX with a Holosun red dot
16" Blackout AR with a Burris Mtac (1-4)
16" Blackout Bolt with Burris RT-6 (1-6)

So, my 8.2" blackout suppressor host is basically done except a way to aim and I cant decide on a LPVO or red dot.

Before I got the bolt gun, I was thinking of an RT6 for the 16" and moving the Mtac to the SBR...so picking up the bolt gun kinda threw a hitch in those plans, or at least opened up a few more options.

I know the 8.2 shooting subs is not a distance gun by any stretch...but I could see a LPVO being handy. But in reality its probably mostly going to be a HD/plinker type so for those red dots would be better.

Is one a glaringly better option than another for this type of setup?

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
8.2” blackout bolt gun…. Can we get some pics please. What is the twist rate? I’ve been eyeing the Christensen Arms MPP in 300blk they have a 1/5 twist. If I pick that up I’m gonna put one of my vortex strike eagles 1x6 on it

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
8.2” blackout bolt gun…. Can we get some pics please. What is the twist rate? I’ve been eyeing the Christensen Arms MPP in 300blk they have a 1/5 twist. If I pick that up I’m gonna put one of my vortex strike eagles 1x6 on it

The 8.2 is an AR.

Those Christensen Arms bolt actions are slick. I was eyeballing those, an Elf Owl and the Remington CP. I'll end up with something along those lines eventually.

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would go with red dot if it is going to be a home defense/ range plinker, but like other have said you could always get a LPVO with an offset red dot.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have the Primary Arms 1-6 LVPO 762x39/300BO on my x39 ranch rifle. I really like it, but I do have some complaints. It’s only SFP, so the BDC reticule only works at 6x. Not a huge deal, but something to keep in mind. I’m also limited to a certain set of loads, for the BDC to be accurate. The illumination is super nice, but the reticule is pretty big for precision shooting. If you’re aiming at pie plates, cool. But trying to shoot tiny groups just doesn’t work as well as a good old fashioned set of crosshairs.

if you’re wanting to do HD/plinking I would just go with a red dot honestly. Smaller and more simple is best.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went with a Vortex Gen II 1-6x24. At 1x it’s very close to a red dot with very good FOV and a day light bright red dot. With the throw lever it’s a little stiff manipulating through the power range but it can be done. A dedicated offset red dot may be warranted when transitioning from distant targets to close targets if speed is a factor

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With what you are describing, I'm thinking Red Dot. You could always add a magnifier if you want. The big question is do you have a preference for a type of particular dot?

Latest posts

Top Bottom