Red Dots on Handguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welp, I went to the range with steelfingers today and we shot his Glock 19 with the Vortex Venom 3 MOA Red Dot sight. He went first, and man, was I ever impressed. The first mag; all shots right in the bull! My turn was next: I barely managed to hit paper. It was horrible; that 3 MOA sight looked about 50 MOA to my old tired eyes, I mean, it was like looking at a big fat, fuzzy, red strawberry out there. I had cataract surgery a few years ago, guess it's time for a tune up on the old eyeballs again. The good news is this; I was about to drop the coin and put a red dot on one of my handguns too...glad I didn't! If I could hold that pistol out about another two feet; maybe I'd be able to see a tightly focused dot, but it as it was, I couldn't get it in focus at all. Still, a valuable learning experience for me.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried a red dot on a Rugar MkIII one time. Might not have shot it enough, but I was much better with the standard sites. Just too different on a pistol to me along with not having a holster for transport.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a GREAT time shooting with drudyj today at Big Boys. Thanks dru, I had a lot of fun.
Don't let this guy fool you. HE CAN SHOOT! Beat my butt. Plus, he has the sweetest 1911 Ruger around. That thing is a beaut and he can run it. Thanks for letting me shoot it.
This is another reason I like this place. Great people like Drudyj. Fun to be around and just a cool guy.
Here's a pic of him making holes in holes at BB's today.
Folks at Big Boys were nice, as always, and Dru got me in for free as he's a member. (How great is that?)
Anyway, check out the new thread give away I will be posting in a bit. Going to give away two free passes to Big Boys (all paid in full) that will be given away at the next ENS. Gotta be there to win and can be a guest of a member or family member.
Just a way to say thanks to OSA and people like Druryj that make this place what it is. Neat! :clap3:
Druryj Big Boys.JPG

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shhheeeeeet...I was lucky to hit the dang paper today, I might as well throw the boolets at the target as try to hit it with a red dot sight. I didn't do very much harm to anything actually today but I had fun. Steelfingers is being modest, he shot really well today, good thing I have a knife as back up is all I can say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I need to give the red dot thing a go. I shoot very well with open sights just regular shooting but under stress such as in competition it takes everything I have to make myself look at the front sight and not the target. Its just about impossible. I guess thats what happens when you grow up bird hunting with a shotgun.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I might as well throw the boolets at the target as try to hit it with a red dot sight
Will be bringing a few dots on guns to the ENS in April. I have several that are adjustable to 8 MOA, that might look allot better to ya. The 3 MOA is a bit hard on some eyes, the 8 really helps many folks. I will also bring my bullseye .45 with the matchdot 2 on it for the so inclined.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried a reflex on my Buckmark pistol and it just wasnt for me at all. It lasted one range trip and back to irons for me.
I use red dots exclusively in Steel Challenge for both rifle and pistol.
Not all of them are created equal. I've always shot a Bushnell Trophy tube type on my .22RF Mark III hunter with MZ brake. Decided to upgrade to a Burris Fast Fire III. Shot 500 rounds in practice, and later in two matches. It sucked.
Put the Bushnell back on, and life is good.
Shooting the Burris, I couldn't get out of C class scoring levels. Shooting the Bushnell, it's A class.

Latest posts

Top Bottom