Red Flag Alert

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yikes . . . you may be reading this part and be thinking that doesn't sound horrible . . .

(2) NOTICE.—The individual named in an application for an extreme risk protection order as described in paragraph (1) shall be given written notice of the application and an opportunity to be heard on the matter in accordance with this section.

(3) ISSUANCE OF EXTREME RISK PROTECTION ORDERS.—

(A) HEARING.—

(i) IN GENERAL.—Upon receipt of an application described in paragraph (1), the court shall order a hearing to be held not later than 30 days after the date of such application.

(ii) DETERMINATION.—If the court finds by a preponderance of the evidence that the respondent poses a danger of causing harm to himself, herself, or others by having access to a firearm, the court may issue an extreme risk protection order.

(B) LENGTH OF EXTREME RISK PROTECTION ORDER.—An extreme risk protection order shall be in effect for a period not to exceed 1 year, unless renewed.

And then you read this section . . . which would likely be the bulk of these requests.

(4) EX PARTE EXTREME RISK PROTECTION ORDERS.—

(A) IN GENERAL.—Upon receipt of an application described in paragraph (1), the court may issue an ex parte extreme risk protection order before conducting the hearing required under paragraph (3), if—

(i) the application for an extreme risk protection order alleges that the respondent poses a danger of causing harm to himself, herself, or others in the near future by having access to a firearm; and

(ii) the court finds there is reasonable cause to believe that the respondent poses a danger of causing harm to himself, herself, or others in the near future by having access to a firearm.

(B) LENGTH OF EX PARTE EXTREME RISK PROTECTION ORDER.—An ex parte extreme risk protection order shall be in effect for a period not to exceed 30 days, unless continued for good cause.

Wonder how much (B) is going to work in the long run . . . I'd imagine that "proof" would mean that no family member would be able to possess them.

(5) STORAGE OF REMOVED FIREARMS.—All firearms removed or surrendered pursuant to an extreme risk protection order shall be retained by a law enforcement officer or a law enforcement agency until the named individual regains his or her eligibility to possess firearms, except that the legislation may authorize a law enforcement agency to—

(A) contract with a manufacturer, dealer, or importer licensed under chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, for the secure storage of firearms; and

(B) transfer the firearm upon proof that the named individual will no longer have access to the firearm.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It and universal background checks have a 90% chance of becoming law this time and anyone who thinks they can sit it out is an idiot. Write your congress critter, tweet them and Trump, raise a stink or sit back and watch the Dimocrats blackmail your rep into going along. Remember the media is telling them that a vast majority want gun control. Only you can tell them different.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It and universal background checks have a 90% chance of becoming law this time and anyone who thinks they can sit it out is an idiot. Write your congress critter, tweet them and Trump, raise a stink or sit back and watch the Democrats blackmail your rep into going along. Remember the media is telling them that a vast majority want gun control. Only you can tell them different.
I might be an idiot then. No politician would touch that legislation unless he or she was ready to retire from politics because it would be a career killer.

Last edited:

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IF the President were smart he would agree to sign this bill into law ONLY after a constitutional amendment that places term limits on Congress and every elected official. Once pased he could veto the **** out of this bullchit.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I knew you would say that. Completely idiotic to think they dont know how to keep from committing career suicide (most times)

Sorry but the media keeps telling everyone that a majority want the laws and I do not think most political types are smart enough to see facts unless bombarded with letters and e-mails. Remember all it will take is a few senators to buy it. Dimocrats control the House and Republicans only hold a slim majority in the Senate. Trump is a wild card and I still do not trust him unless he is pressured by his base.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry but the media keeps telling everyone that a majority want the laws and I do not think most political types are smart enough to see facts unless bombarded with letters and e-mails. Remember all it will take is a few senators to buy it. Dimocrats control the House and Republicans only hold a slim majority in the Senate. Trump is a wild card and I still do not trust him unless he is pressured by his base.
Listening to the media is your first issue.
Believing that any kind of democratic majority exists to ban any gun rights is simply laughable.
It aint gonna happen.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Listening to the media is your first issue.
Believing that any kind of democratic majority exists to ban any gun rights is simply laughable.
It aint gonna happen.

I do listen to the media, know thine enemy. I do not believe them but some of the dumba$$es in congress will. Especially those from NE swing states. There are a few of them that are RINOs and will side with the Dimocrats given half an excuse.

Latest posts

Top Bottom