Redbud blossom tea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Start by picking the blooms from the tree. They grow in little clusters, so you can grab several in a pinch. Try to avoid as many twigs as possible, taking only the bloom. I like to give the bowl a good shake or two when I get home so that heavier sticks and bits can settle to the bottom, leaving clean flowers on top.

Transfer the flowers to a cutting board and give them a good chop. You aren’t trying to pulverize them, just open up the blooms a bit for added surface area.

Chop the blossoms to increase surface area.

Chop the blossoms to increase surface area.

Moved the chopped blooms to a pot with 2 quarts cold water. Bring the mixture to a heavy simmer or light boil. Try not to bring the water to a complete heavy boil; just cut the heat when you notice the first bubbles breaking the surface. Cut the heat, cover the pot with a lid, and steep the tea for 15 minutes.

Bring the blossoms to a light boil, then reduce the heat and simmer.

Bring the blossoms to a light boil, then reduce the heat and simmer.

Pour the steeped tea through a strainer into a pitcher. Discard the used blooms. You’ll notice the tea is green at first. Don’t worry — just squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into it and watch it magically turn to a light purply pink shade.

After you strain the tea and add lemon juice, the color will change from green to light purple or pink.

After you strain the tea and add lemon juice, the color will change from green to light purple or pink.

Sweeten the tea with sugar — or my choice, raw, unfiltered honey. Enjoy with a meal or just as a nice refreshing drink on a warm spring afternoon.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool beans, I'll have to look deeper into this. Having a few fig trees, I enjoy fig leaf tea. I'll on occasion add it to the coffee grounds so that I have a fig flavored coffee. If you dig into the benefits of fig leaf tea, its touted to be some good stuff.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cool beans, I'll have to look deeper into this. Having a few fig trees, I enjoy fig leaf tea. I'll on occasion add it to the coffee grounds so that I have a fig flavored coffee. If you dig into the benefits of fig leaf tea, its touted to be some good stuff.
Look up roselle hibiscus

Latest posts

Top Bottom