Redfield Rebel 6-24x50 30mm tube Review?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No review yet I just bought one from academy and was suckered into saving another 15 bucks on top of the $25 coupon I already had.

No reviews on Academy sight for this scope and it is an Academy brand now and warranty is with them.
I looked at the Vortex Hog hunter and many other scopes and this Redfield had a very clear image and generous eyebox.

Some scopes I looked through in the store were very critical on the left and right position of your eye and some you had to get pretty close to the scope at full zoom power.

I am wondering what rifle I will mount this onto and thinking my 30-06 with the 110 gr should shake it pretty good and give it a work out.
It is a light rifle compared to my .243 or .308 and kicks way harder.

You will get scope eye if you are not careful.

The $15 extra saved was by signing up for their credit card.
Yea I only have one credit card and pay it off at the end of the month.
I was told you will save 5% on every purchase at academy with this card and you can pay cash at the register and it does not go on the card.
I like that and you can stack that 5% on top of coupons they send you and this weekend you save another 10%.

Ok i was suckered.
Now need to mount this scope and make some loads and stretch their legs.

There are Zero reviews at academy on this scope so far.
I will compare it with a Nikon 2.5-10 x 40 which will be coming off the 30-06.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got to use this scope.
This thing is very clear but most scopes are today.
Now i compared it side by side with a 4-12x40 Nikon Buckmaster and at low light I was amazed
with this scope and it was creating a cleared picture than the Nikon.
Even though the Nikon goes down to 4 power that 6 power of the lowest setting on this Redfield
Trumps the Nikon.
The reticle is fatter than the Nikon and does not fade away at low light.

This morning I looked through a 3-9x40 Nikon and 2.5-10 x40 Nikon and 3-9x50 Vortex Crosfire II.
The Vortex was almost as clear but not quite ahead of the Redfield.

That Vortex when hunting facing the sun as it goes down will wash/ghost pretty bad.
I did not stay in the woods long enough to test that on this Redfield scope.
Seems to hold on target also.

Now the BAD.
The Parallax adjustment on the side is marked in yards like many scopes are.
But 100 yard marking is not 100 yard it is 200.
I must set it a bit below 75 to be parallax free at 100 yards.

I shot it on 22 power and the image is clear but 24 power I get reflection of my brow back at me.

That is all good I did not really expect that much power to be crystal clear anyway at this price range.
Eye piece is for Focus and has a small separate ring back there for it.
You must turn it quite a bit to find the sweet spot.

The Nikon and Vortex fast focus eye piece is 1.75 turns of adjustment.
This Redfield is 4.75 turns and it is hard to turn when it is 31°F outside.
Some rubber on it would be nice, it is slick smooth steel.

Old eyes appreciate something you can focus quickly.

Now I shot it at 100 yards with mixed cases and very gusty winds.
30-06 110 gr @ 3,254 fps. 3 rounds at top of target.

Then adjusted scope and brought it down and right and then went hunting for a couple hours and found 2 coons in a trap and eliminated them and then shot 10 rounds at 200 yards.

Right after that 10 rounds fired over 15 minutes time I went back to 100 yards and wind changed and I shot 4 same headstamp loads as fast as I could get back on target.
maybe 5 seconds between shots and that was the best group of the day.
Very warm barrel.
Load does not hold together well with mixed cases at 200 yards.

But this was a scope test to see if it could take the recoil of this light rifle.
8.7 lb with scope.

I just looked and this scope just went on sale for $199.
I do like it enough to get another.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've looked at those when I saw the Redfield name because I knew years ago Leupold bought them but I learned Academy had bought the brand name from Leupold and was producing them overseas.... I assume China? I've been burned so much by Chinese scopes I have just all but quit them except for scopes under $50 for 22's or non critical stuff.

Keep us posted down the road how it holds up, maybe these will be ok

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought 2 more of these and tried to get a photo at 24 power looking through the scope old scratched up Nikon camera and a little hazy and bright outside.
100 yards at a tree.
Looks much better in person, it is mil dot but tiny dots. They do not really show up this small with your eyes just through my camera.
6-24x50 rf 003.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom