Refinishing a s&w 642

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The is serious of gun is notorious for weak finish, clear coat wear or whatever. I like the matte finish, but wouldn’t mind cleaning up the worn spots at least, have any of you all done anything with one. Honestly I bought it right and for an edc, truck gun or whatever, it doesn’t need to be pretty, but still, considering something. Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Ah heck, slide it down the driveway a couple times then come up with a cool story about how it got like that.
After that, toss it in the console so it lives to fight another day.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, it already has its honest wear. I think I will just appreciate the deal I got on it and keep it as is. Doesn’t make sense throwing money at this particular edc piece.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree with most of the above. It’s not worth wasting money on it, unless you just want to spiff it up and make it look cool looking. I’d go the “buy more ammo” route and let it be ugly.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember another member here having issues with sweat causing issues with the finish on his S&W j-frame. I seem to recall that he contacted S&W and there was some concern that refinishing the alloy frame might damage or remove the serial numbers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom